Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm mystery - 1993 115hp

I'm getting an alarm on my 1993 115 TLRR that I can't find the root of:

The first time the alarm goes off, all 3 oil symbols light up on dash. I checked oil levels while on the water - both tanks are full. The next day I changed both the reserve tank and main tank oil filters. I also replaced the fuel filter, oil/water seperator and spark plugs for good measure. Everything works OK for a couple hours then get the alarm again. So I drain the main oil tank, clean it out along with the hose going to the oil injector and the little nipple at the bottom of the tank. Found a bit of sludge in the nipple but not too much. Once reassembled, the remote tank starts filling the main tank like it's supposed to. The alarm sounds until oil reaches the lower line on the main tank and the pumping stops when the oil reaches the upper line. I reason that the floats and switches in the main tank are working. Now I'm thinking electrical problem - this seems likely since I relocated my batteries early this spring and could have shaken something loose. I check all the connections I changed for the battery project as well as the oil system wiring harness connections and add a little dielectric lube to each one. Everything OK for about 20 minutes then get the alarm again.

The alarm itself also is a bit unusual - after it goes off (and without me resetting by turning off the engine), I can go at 700-1000 rpms for a while then it will let me get back up to 3500 - 4000 for anywhere from 20 seconds to 5 minutes. Also, when at low rpms, the alarm periodically goes off in short little chirps.

Anyone have some further troubleshooting tips? Is this just a bad ground somewhere? I'm debating whether to replace the oil wiring harnesses or perhaps the oil control unit itself. Could this be an overheat alarm even though the temperature gauges never flash? is there anything else that could trigger the alarm?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ben

Ben,
    I would at least eliminate the possibility of false alarms from the thermo switches - I've had trouble with mine on my 2000 C115.
    There are two in your 115 - one in each head assy. about the size of a nickle. There are two wires coming out of each. Disconnect the two wires on each thermo switch and test the alarm by touching the wires together (the ones that lead to the ignition control) with the ignition switch on. You should immediately get an alarm for overheat condition.
    Once you have determined that both pairs of wires that lead to the thermo switches do indeed trigger the alarm, the next step is to remove the thermo switches and test them in slowly heated water. Do this using a voltmeter and fairly accurate thermometer. You are looking for continuity (closure) of the switch at around 185 degrees and re-opening at around 160. I have seen them close as soon as 130, giving a false overheat condition.
    One other thing to check - the fuse holders - there should be two on your 115. One on mine was making poor contact and putting the motor into rpm reduction and giving a false alarm.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

I think I got to the bottom of this one - negative lead at the motor end looked and felt secure but wasn't. Clean the connection, add a lock washer, tighten and everything appears 100%.

Electrical problems drive me nuts - 10 hours to find the problem and 10 seconds to fix it. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
      X