starting and tilt problems..need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting and tilt problems..need help

I have a 2005 225hp yamaha ob..........today I could not start the engine and at same time the trim tilt for lowering the engine did not work. I replaced both batteries with new ones. Checked all connections to batteries and cleaned and tightened the terminals. Not sure what happened but the trim worked and engine started. After a while I shut the engine and later tried to start it with no results. I am confused why both the engine won't start and tilt won't work as I thought they were on different systems. Anyone have any suggestions
    Thanks

Originally posted by ccrunch View Post
    I have a 2005 225hp yamaha ob..........today I could not start the engine and at same time the trim tilt for lowering the engine did not work. I replaced both batteries with new ones. Checked all connections to batteries and cleaned and tightened the terminals. Not sure what happened but the trim worked and engine started. After a while I shut the engine and later tried to start it with no results. I am confused why both the engine won't start and tilt won't work as I thought they were on different systems. Anyone have any suggestions
    Thanks

Did the engine spin over or did you get nothing? Id probe the power wires with a D.M.M. when its acting up. You may have a bad wire or connection.... Also make sure you havent got a chipmunk or something in there hacking away like they did mine.....

Comment

all I get is a click with starter and a little whining noise with the trim. I am sure it is electrical just cab't pinpoint the common area for both ignition and trim. thank you for suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by ccrunch View Post
        all I get is a click with starter and a little whining noise with the trim. I am sure it is electrical just cab't pinpoint the common area for both ignition and trim. thank you for suggestion

Well one thing that may be common on the boat is the grounds. Sounds like to me the ground has a weak connection. I really hope you can find the problem. Good luck to ya......

Comment

thank you, will relook at all the grounds

Comment

Hello ccrunch,

Any luck on fixing your issue? I’m also having the same problem with my 60 tiller, buy undoing the connection to the battery and reconnecting it appeared to be the “reseting” something and both the tilt and ignition would work. At this point I changed the fused for the starter and tilt. I was on the water today and was unable to reproduce the problem …. I’m hoping that that’s all it was, however, I am not convinced!! If anyone else has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!! It most likely appears to be electrical… I also had a look at the grounds and they all appear to fine!

Luc

Comment

most likely a terminal illness........................ give your battery terminals a good clean

Comment

Thanks! will try that!

Luc

Comment

check batt voltage
                  check cables for wicking

Comment

I was having the same problem with my 115. It is a 1986 model. I found the main 30 amp fuse on the motor had carbon buildup and so did the fuse holder. I cleaned the fuse and the holder and she has been good to go ever since. Not sure if the newer and bigger motors are the same but this is what fixed mine.

Comment

Problem fixed!!

Gave the terminals a good cleaning!

Thanks to all!

Luc

Comment

Working...
                      X