yamaha 115 4st trim gauge malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 115 4st trim gauge malfunction

I have a 2006 4 stroke 115 (bought boat and motor new) and this year when I took it out for the 1st time, the tilt/trim gauge was not working (61 hrs on motor). The gauge is maxed out and bounces between 3/4 and full, no matter what angle the motor is in. It does not effect the function of the tilt/trim but very frustrating trying to always look back to see how far it is trimmed out? Also had a problem with the batter (1 yr old) not holding a charge on the water and the fishfinder not displaying the correct depth. Are these 3 seperate incidents or connected? I checked all the wiring under the center console and under the transom but could find not fault with the wiring. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar problem (mine always read 100% down) and found the solutions searching through forums (this one or thehulltruth.com).

There is a little sensor arm that rests on an adjustable tab. Trim the motor all the way up and you'll see it. At full trim it is supposed to read 8-11 ohms (disconnect the trim sensor inside the cowling and hook up your ohm meter to it. Adjust the tab with a screwdriver.

I don't have the manual in front of me, but there are good directions in it. Once I set it up, it works great. I probably have the ohm range off too, so check the book.

Comment

sounds like the sender cam is broken.
      fairly common.
      the original was plastic the replacement is metal.
      there is a tech bulliten on it someplace.
      either that or it was never wired up.
      battery could be bad, sometimes while sitting long periods and discharged it kills them.
      fish finder is most likly a transducer adjustment.
      charging system is easy to test and most any parts store will test your battery.

Comment

Working...
      X