Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 Hp starting troubles.

Hello,

we are having problems with a 1998 Yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke outboard that has been regularly serviced and running great until recently.

A week ago it became very difficult to start the motor and would only start without using the choke and if you touched the choke the engine would stall and even when if you dont touch the choke it would stall after 10 or 15 seconds.

Yesterday we had to tap the side of the starter solonoid to get the starter to engage because it started making a clicking sound and even then the engine wouldnt run for long and after having checked the plugs they are clean and not fouled up at all.

Then the weirdest thing happened while trying to start the motor we turned off the key and removed it from the ignition but the engine kept on cranking and had to turn off the battery switch to kill it.

There is plenty of fuel in the tank and the pump is delivering fuel to the carb so i dont think it is that.

As usual any help or suggestions will be greatfully appreciated.

best regards,
    Doug.

Sounds like need to replace starter solenoid and remove and clean carb.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Hi all,

ok, new solenoid which solved the starter problem, carbs cleaned and now a new ignition coil assembly and leads.
      The motor started right up and ran for 30 mins before shutting down. Came back a couple of hours later to wear down my battery trying to get the darned thing to fire, no back firing, no spluttering even, just turning over without an apparent spark.
      Any ideas??
      best regards,
      Doug.

Comment

Need to check for spark at spark plugs.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Spark at plugs most of the time. The motor will start, run for 20 - 25 mins and then will not start again after turned off. I was wondering if theres a high temp or low oil level sender but the oil is full and the engine doesnt seem to overheat.

Comment

I would suggest you to get it checked by some one who is expert in this.May be he'll be able to find out whats the problem is.
            [URL="http://www.incarparts.com"]Truck Accessories[/URL]

Comment

Working...
            X