New F50 question about breakin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New F50 question about breakin?

I purchased a new carbed 04 F50 yamaha. I picked it up yesterday from the dealer after installation of a tiller kit. The dealer tech and I discussed breakin of the motor. He had just returned from a training class with Yamaha. He told me these engines are notorious for making oil. Many techs at the class voiced these concerns to the yamaha folks. I told him I read the breakin procedures in the owners manual. He told me to breakin the motor a different way. First of all he said always warm the engine up at idle for 5 minutes period! Second on my first tank of gas(6.5) gallons to run the engine hard 75% throttle and not to run a full throttle for more than 30 seconds(manual states no more than 5 minutes). He stated on the the second tank of gas run it the same way. On the third tank add 2 oz. of ring free and the engine is broke in. He said to add 2 oz. of ring free to every tank from then on. Any thoughts?

Hey twnichols,

For what it is worth, I bought a 2005 F50 this year and I broke it in per the owners manual instructions. I figured that if I do encounter problems, at the very least I can say "it was broken in per your instructions" and not have them say "the engine was abused during break in and that is the cause of the problem . . . no warranty".

My dealer has been pretty good and I don't expect they would pull something like that, but if they are recommending that type of break in, I'd be awfully tempted to have them put it in writing since is does vary from what's in the Owners Manual.

Absolutely awesome engine BTW . . . I love mine!

Forgot the mention, I also had an individual advise me that the life of your engine will be greatly enhanced if you warm it up at idle for a few minutes before taking off and letting it idle for a few minutes before you are done for the day.

Comment

tw,
      I don't know about the "newly-schooled" break-in procedure vs. the owners manual, but I would be skeptical about the use of Ring Free with that four stroke. Ring Free is a strong detergent otherwise known as Chevron Techron. It is recommended for two strokes because of the extra carbon buildup inherent in a two stroke - you shouldn't have that with a four stroke. Besides, I think the normal ratio is 1 oz to 10 gallons of gas (I could be wrong on this).
      Try to get a confirmation on that new break-in recommendation.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X