poor idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poor idle

Does anyone have any ideas about a poor idle on a 2008 4 stroke 8HP hight thrust, long shaft yamaha? My engine starts fine and is great at high RPM, but will not run at low RPM. Of course I need low RPM to get my sailboat out of the marina. I have paid the dealer (several times) to remove and clean the carb. Each time he says that there is varnish. And each time it works great for a total of one use. This is happening after the engine sits for one or at MOST two weeks. I change all the gas out on the first of each month. I have use Sta Bil, CRC, and sea foam. The only advice the dealer can give (after $75 cleaning) is try different grade fuels- which I did, with no change. In addition, I run fresh water through after each use, as per the manual. I am ready to just through the piece of junk away. The engine was brand new and after two years has less than 20 hours, because I can not keep it running long enough to use. There has to be a way to use an engine, without removing and cleaning a carb, after each use. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help!!!!
    Last edited by skydivekearney; 05-24-2010, 02:39 PM.

Do you try to run the carb dry or drain the carb before letting it sit?

Have you tried leaving the fuel hooked up and not draining carb?

Are you useing the marine Stabil or the regular red stuff?

Are you running ethanol free gas?

Have you tried Yamaha products instead of after market stuff?

Comment

I do not run the engine dry. I use the ethanol treatment, because around here all the fuel appears to have ethanol. What yamaha treatment would you recommend? I have been following the advice of my yahama dealer, who seems to be making a lot of money from the cleanings.

Comment

Working...
      X