2005 200 Four Stroke started running very rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 200 Four Stroke started running very rough

Took the boat out today. Idle'ed for maybe 3-4 minutes after launch eased up to 3500 rpm's for about a minute, when I went to accelerate the motor wouldn't increase rpms so I came off plane to check the foot and the motor started running very rough and wouldn't idle. Restarted, missing and continued to run rough, like a fouled plug but thought that unlikely since it's a 4 stroke. Limped back to the ramp.

Before I went out I added 20 gals of fuel to "freshen" up the tank. Existing fuel contains Stabil maring formula. Probably around 60 gals of fuel in the tank now. The boat has been stored for winter but ran 4-5 hours over the past 6 weeks. Never any problems.

Checked fuel filter on motor, no visible water.
    Checked plugs, all 6 looked pretty clean.
    Emptied the Yamaha fuel cannister, got no water but fuel looks old, very orange, a bit murky, BUT no water came out of the filter.
    Also, the primer felt pretty firm while idling back so I think that removes the low pressure fuel pump from the equation.

Could it be the filter on the VST? Clogged injectors?

Thanks in advance!
    Danny
    Last edited by danny221; 05-23-2010, 11:28 PM.

Need to run fuel pressure test, probably needs VST cleaned, new filters, possible a fuel pump and injectors cleaned.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X