Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

84' Yamaha 70ETLN (Please help, Im ready to go fishing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You still do not know if the thermostat if functioning correctly if you did not test or replace with a new one. You also need to get the alarm system working so you will know if it is overheating. Pick up a service/ repair manual for your motor and read up.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      You still do not know if the thermostat if functioning correctly if you did not test or replace with a new one. You also need to get the alarm system working so you will know if it is overheating. Pick up a service/ repair manual for your motor and read up.
      I ordered a service manual over a week ago and it still hasnt showed up...go figure. I thank you again for all of your help. Im just tying to get as much done as i can without the manual for now because it has me so baffled. Im about to pull the thermostat now and put it in the pot as suggested and see what happens. But im thinking its not overheating now because when it messed up last time i pulled the cover and the engine was warm but nothing like i would think it would be if it were overheating?...who knows...he search continues.......
      Last edited by gerront; 06-01-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Just checked the thermostat

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Thermostat is working properly im assuming. Put it in warm water and probed the water with a temp sensor and slowly brought the water temp. up. I watched patiently and noticed it started opening @ around 125-130 degrees and was fully open @140-145 degrees.....I know i REALLY need that manual but i guess this it ok since this number is fairly low and it is opening.

Comment

Impeller

Are you sure the impeller was installed in the correct direction? Where is the thermostat? I have a 1985 70ETLK and don't think it has a thermostat... I am waiting for delivery of my Impeller Kit and just did rebuild the carbs but one is gushing fuel now. I have factory manuals if there is anything I can answer from them. Don't know how similar the motors are though.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BShann101 View Post
            Are you sure the impeller was installed in the correct direction? Where is the thermostat? I have a 1985 70ETLK and don't think it has a thermostat... I am waiting for delivery of my Impeller Kit and just did rebuild the carbs but one is gushing fuel now. I have factory manuals if there is anything I can answer from them. Don't know how similar the motors are though.

Brian
            If im not mistaken there pretty much the same exact motor! And yes i made sure the impeller was installed exactly like the original. Its pumping water very well now...so i guess i got it all right. It was very simple to do.
            Looking at the cylinder head, its around the left side up top/ Has two bolts holding a cover that keeps it sealed up. Its #28 in the diagram.

Yamaha Outboard Parts 1984 70ETLN CYLINDER CRANKCASE Diagram
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I guess mine does have one. I'll have to pull it and test it. I've had my boat stored for 3 years and am getting it ready to use again. Buzzer sounds while showing green light. It's like the hold circuit is not resetting. Ever had an issue like that?

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BShann101 View Post
                Thanks, I guess mine does have one. I'll have to pull it and test it. I've had my boat stored for 3 years and am getting it ready to use again. Buzzer sounds while showing green light. It's like the hold circuit is not resetting. Ever had an issue like that?

Brian
                Ive never had a problem like that happen. My boat did not originaly come with this motor, but was installed as a replacement after the original kept having fits.... Im not even sure if the alarm is hooked up on it correctly. Im awaiting arrival of a service manual so i can try my best to figure out what the hell is going on with it. But i have read that the oil container can cause it to go off as well...might could try and check there, but without a service manual i have no clue what to look for or how to test.....

Comment

I know this is a very old post, and the poster just quit responding.

VENT YOUR GAS TANK!

The hose or bulb are collapsing and the motor is starving for fuel (running rough) and quitting (out of gas).

Sitting there for a while lets the pressures in the fuel line equalize.

This will happen with a very full tank, but less often with an almost empty tank.

Comment

It did the same thing whether or not the tank was full or running empty. There is a cap on the gas tank to vent it and it was all te way open. Also the bulb never collapsed and the bulb and hose are all new.

Originally posted by Atchafalaya_man View Post
                    I know this is a very old post, and the poster just quit responding.

VENT YOUR GAS TANK!

The hose or bulb are collapsing and the motor is starving for fuel (running rough) and quitting (out of gas).

Sitting there for a while lets the pressures in the fuel line equalize.

This will happen with a very full tank, but less often with an almost empty tank.

Comment

Hi, I have a 1985 90HP and was having similar issues. The motor would start and then not power up and shake, still run but very poorly and no fun. I read all the responses and no one has mentioned your black box, powerpack, cdi unit whatever you want to call it. I changed mine when I had these problems and it fixed my problem. I'm not saying this is your problem, just letting you know of my experience and how I fixed my motor. Problem is they are expensive. I got mine fairly cheap second hand. Works good. Happy days. Thanks.

Comment

Finally got the engine fixed. Bad water pump housing was causing engine to overheat slighty and go into protection mode. Now that i got it back out of the shop i took it out Sat and messed the lower unit up because somehow ALL of the oil ran out.... somehow? Just my luck too. It was replaced last year while i was trying to figure out what was wrong with it, dont understand why it vanished either. Didnt see any oil leaking on the ground...may have leaked out while it was in the water i was told. So now im very desperately seeking a new lower or debating having it repaired so i can take my daughter fishing..... very depressing to take your 2 year old daughter on her first boat ride / fishing trip and seeing her face light up and smile...and then the boat tears up......smh. God bless anyone who could help me!!!

Comment

I have never seen a lower unit leak all of the lube out before, just get water into it and turn into milky oil.

Had a friend drained the oil on 2 150 Dt Suzuki's and figured he would pick up lube next time into town, never remembered until lower units were trashed.
                          Getting old sucks

Was there water and no oil in it or was there not oil and no water?

Comment

Well we didnt have the boat moving too much, id say around 2-3 miles total in short runs from point to point while fishing. We were cruising at about 25mph and i felt a quick/slight loss of power and heard a noise that sounded like a bearing going out.... i instantly killed the engine to prevent any further damage. Took it back home and checked the oil and nothing came out of the bottom plug until i raised the motor all the way up....then id say about a 1/4 cup of oil came out and it was dark colored but not cloudy and didnt seem to have any water in it. I ran my fingers throught the oil looking for pieces of metal and didnt find anything other than really really fine pieces stuck to the magnetic plug. The oil that was in there was still thick too. So id have to say no water and pretty much empty on oil. Im hoping the drive is still good and i can just replace the oil and bearings and fix the issue.

Comment

hate to say it but sounds like someone failed to put lube back in after draining like my friend. You need to open it up and see what all is damaged

Comment

You may be right. I had a friend of mine look at it who ended up fixing the overheating issue. He shouldnt have messed with the oil in the lower, as he just replaced plugs, fuel line, bulb, fuel line connectors and a brand new water pump (not just the impeller).....

As far as taking it apart, we made an attempt too but we cant find a tool to take that inner nut off of the hub? If that makes since...I guess you call it a spanner wrench. Guess i may end up having to order one from the internet....

Comment

Working...
                                X