Question on locking a 1990 Yamaha 85HP engine up for trailering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on locking a 1990 Yamaha 85HP engine up for trailering

Greetings . . . . this is my first post but it looks like a great place to share information.

I just purchased a 1990- Chaparral 162XL with an 85HP Yamaha CV85ELD outboard on it . . . . The seller said that when he trailered it, he inserted a piece of galvanized pipe under the engine after tilting it. I asked him if it wasn't supposed to lock up; i.e., when you pull it out of the water, but he said it had never done it in the 3 years he owned it.

I see a lever similar to what I've used before on non-power tilt engines but it does not seem to want to lock in the up position.

Looking at the motor again and I found the tilt release lever on the left side (standing behind the boat). Above the smaller lever is a larger one that seems to go through the bracket and is on both sides. It looks to be rusted in place on the right side (looking from the back) and the one on the left side moves but does not hold the motor up. Now I see why they previous owner used the pipe to hold the motor up when trailering or storing it.

Looking at some on-line parts diagrams, the lever I was trying to move (frozen on the right, moves but does nothing on the left) shows up as the "TILT STOP LEVER" . . . number 25 and 26 on this schematic.

Boat Parts

Any suggestions on how to fix the tilt lock mechanism?

Does it sound like I am not doing something right or is there something I need to look at replacing?

Thanks in advance

Andy

From the manuals I have read, that level is not for trailering, it is for locking the motor in the up position while working on motor.

Comment

So how do you trailer the motor in the up position?

If that is not for trailering, how do you trailer the motor since that appears to be how to hold it in position?

Looking in the small engine manual, that looks like what they are saying to use . . . . . any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

Look at the Transporting and storing section of the owners manual.
        It says to use a motor support device such as a transom saver bar.
        There is a device that you put on the T&T unit, but I do not know right off hand what it is called.

Comment

Check the link below

Google Image Result for http://www.thesportscenterstore.com/prodimages/TransomSavers_small.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X