Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 TLR not tilting up when hitting bottom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 TLR not tilting up when hitting bottom?

Got a 2006 Yamaha 50 TLR 2 stroke, power trim/tilt. Only had it for about a month. Used it last weekend and got into some shallows and ended up contacting a sandbar. I didn't notice that the motor tilted up when it hit. Not saying it didn't, just didn't notice one way or the other.

When I got the boat on the trailer, I tried lifting the motor up from the prop area, and I couldn't get it to budge. Does the "auto tilt" only work when the motor is running? Doesn't seem like that would be the case, but it's light enough that I should have been able to tilt it up when pulling back on it, simulating running aground.

I just looked at the motor again, and there's a hole on the mounting bracket with a picture above it of the motor being tilted. In the hole is a phillips head bolt/screw with a counterclockwise arrow and the word "FREE." I assumed this meant turn the screw counterclockwise and the motor would be free to tilt. I turned the screw, but the ouboard still doesn't tilt when I lift up on it.

Any advice? Is everything cool, and I just don't know what I'm doing?

Those T&T motors do not pop up like the non T&T ones, they say they will come up by way of some pressure relief valves, but will stop a light boat before tilting unless you hit a solid object moving fairly fast.

To lift manually you need to open the relief valve completely before it will move. You can tell how it works by raising with power and then lowering with the manual relief valve. Make sure you close it back all the way when you are through.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      Those T&T motors do not pop up like the non T&T ones, they say they will come up by way of some pressure relief valves, but will stop a light boat before tilting unless you hit a solid object moving fairly fast.

To lift manually you need to open the relief valve completely before it will move. You can tell how it works by raising with power and then lowering with the manual relief valve. Make sure you close it back all the way when you are through.
      cool, thanks man. this is also what i heard on a couple of other sites.

Comment

Working...
      X