2001 225 stalling out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 225 stalling out

hello everyone hope someone can help me. had mechanic check motor found that number five plug has no spark. switched coil wires with one above still no spark. pulled yellow wire apart the one that is below cdi unit and used for emergency return trip to shore. motor fired right up ran good and number five had spark. so his guess is bad cdi unit. coil wire is part of cdi unit and can not be changed alone. he told me to take to yamaha dealer for second opinion. do not want to spend thousands for something that does not need changing. can he pin point problem by connecting to blue wire for diagnostics. all help greatly appreciated.

The diagnostic light may pickup problem, sure worth a try.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks boat. net. when you say light may pick it up what do you mean. i was thinking they hooked it up to laptop computer. or is to old for that 2001.how do they get information from hooking to blue capped wire. always trying to learn something new.

Comment

I have heard it called a winky blinky. I believe it blinks out codes like the cars did if they have sensor problems. I am sure a service manual for your motor would tell all about it.

Comment

thanks. 99yam40, sounds like name of cartoon. makes sense. live and learn

Comment

Working...
          X