tach info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tach info

Carolina skiff came with a Teleflex tachometer. I wanna replace it with a Yamaha tachometer as the current one sais engine is running only up to 3k rpms. Are all Yamaha tachometers compatible to older Yamaha outboards? Engine is a 2000 40hp 2 stroke with pt&tilt. Looking for a basic yamaha analog tachometer. Any suggestions & will this tachometer just plug into the old wiring from the current tachometer or do I need to rewire the whole thing?

The tach you have probably is set wrong, check setting on back of gauge should be set for 6 pole alternator. Yamaha 6Y5-83540-14-00 analog tach will work but would have to change wire terminals on Carolina Skiff wire wire harness to connect to Yamaha gauge.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The tachometer is set on 6, just went under the console behind the dash. Isn't there a wiring harness you need with Yamaha tachometers as well that plugs into the engine & tachometer, correct me if im wrong?

This current Teleflex tachometer sais my engine is only spinning 2300rpm at WOT.

Comment

Some tach settings use pulse setting and not pole setting, try to change it to 3, 3 pulse is same as 6 pole.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          Some tach settings use pulse setting and not pole setting, try to change it to 3, 3 pulse is same as 6 pole.
          Not worried about it anymore, doesnt matter being im switching over to a yamaha tach soooooooooo

is there a wiring harness from yamaha for the yamaha analog tach????????????

Comment

The gauage power harness is 6Y5-83553-N0-00(connects to Yamaha key switch), if have other gauges in boat then would have change terminal ends to connect to Yamaha harness.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

so all I need is this harness to connect to my yamaha key switch? it just plugs into my key harness under the dash? whats the plug look like?

The switch I have is the one with the key & cutoff switch below it, the choke is done by pushing the key in & the remote is a 704 binnacle mount.

Comment

There is a harness in it already but could be Yamaha or afterrmarket, the gauge harness connects to green, yellow and black wires at key switch. You will either have to change terminals on wire harness in boat or replace with the 6Y5 Yamaha harness and wire rest of gauges to it.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                X