prop replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop replacement

Last month I pulled the prop shaft on 1989 ProV 150 because it was bent about .030...............had it straightened, and then last week I bumped some wood and it sprung back. I just ordered a new shaft and new seals and O-ring for the carrier. My question is how do I seperate the the prop shaft from the short shaft at the other end??? I didn't look too close at how they were connected the last time I pulled it out.......just took the thing in to a machine shop to straighten it. Any help would be appreciated.

Remove the spiral spring from clutch dog and the pin will come out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks much......my parts should arrive by Tuesday and your answer should reduce my down time (non-fishing time)........although with the weekend weather forecast, I think I might tear down the lower unit before the parts arrive.

Comment

Well, yesterday I replaced the prop shaft and the linkage seemed a little out of sync.........my brother worked on it last time and swears that there is supposed to be a washer on both sides of the spline that the clutch dog is located at. I don't recall seeing a washer on the shifter side, but don't know if maybe I missed something. Does anyone on this site know for sure if there is a washer on both sides???? The only thing I came across on any of the parts diagrams that showed a washer that he claimed should be there was part # 90201-26M00-00 on an 1989 L150ETXF, but my motor is the ProV150........is there any chance I might need that washer......only other thing that I could think of that would cause the shifting to be a little out of syn would be the tolerence might be a little off on the new prop shaft. Since I tore it down again, I'll probably pull the shifter slide back out and reassemble.......but the clutch dog seemed to click in forward, nuetral, and reverse before I put the prop shaft back in. Any thoughts on this???

Comment

Working...
        X