Yamaha 50 hp won't go full throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 50 hp won't go full throttle

I have a 50 hp that will start up ok and idle ok and the manual throttle will rev up pretty high. When I put it in gear and try to speed up it will only go about half speed. I know if the oil is low it will reduce the speed but it's full and the green LED is on. The water pump was replaced last year. I tried to clean the carbs with carb cleaner but that did not help. I bought a new tank and filled it with new gas and that didn't help. One of the carbs had a sticking float but that fixed itself (probably from vibration). It's a 1987 vintage yamaha and has worked fine every year until now. What should I do next? Have the carbs rebuilt?

frenchy,
    If the outboard was allowed to set up for at least six months without being run, then the carbs are probably gummed up - I would get them overhauled. But before you do, make sure the fuel filter is clean - maybe the motor is starving for fuel at high rpm.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

I agree with the carbs as the culprit. As long as you have them off, to be sure do the complete re-build (needles and all). Mine get gummed every year (one day I'll learn!) and seems the "stor" products make it worse.

Comment

probably fuel delivery ..have you also checked your fuel pumps for bad diaphrams? you may have to go thru carbs 2-3 times to get them right. check everything from fuel pickups,connections,if you have a quick disconnect,rid of it and run the hose direct. a simple air leak can cause that also.my first check on any power weakness is a comp check tho.

Comment

Working...
        X