Brand New F150 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New F150 question

Purchased a new 2008 f150 uncrated and installed on my pontoon boat. Question I have is that when I hook up Muffs and start motor i do not get a Tell Tail from the discharge port. Only ran the motor for 3 min or so and ran in to post here due to the fear of possibly damaging my new baby.Have had many two strokers but this is my first 4 stroke and want to be sure of things. I have a service manual ordered.

Thanks

not enough water from hose you need to have leg in water

Comment

hey there....

Mitch is smack bang on the money...had this discussion with our suplir the other day...apparently, as mitch said, the f150 need the leg (and water pump housing) totally submerged to operate correctly... they supposedly work in discplacement mode at idle and switch to centrifugal operation once under way

(found this out the hard way...melted 2 of the plastic housings in one week...youch!! $$ )

Mullet

Comment

You think that this situation is across the Yamaha lineup with not being able to flush on a hose? Or just a F150?

One would think that if this anomoly is always present, Yamaha would clearly state in the owners manual...."beware, hose flush pressure is insufficient to actuate the water pump impeller and have it function."

Seems really lame not to be able to hose flush the engine.
        That lower unit won't fit into a trash can......who wants to buy a
        cattle sized water tank!!

I gotta go with not enough water pressure, in combination with the muffs not sealing sufficiently and allowing too much of the water to escape the cooling water intake.

Comment

i have the same year motor ,what i do is to tape up the three small water discharge holes under the cavation plate.unscrew the plastic screen plates on the lower unit.put ear muff on the lower unit.prime the upper motor with the flushing port on the motor using the garden hose.replace flushing hose,then move the garden hose to the ear muffs.run hose full blast.start the motor,the motor should pee.i found this will work or get a barrel to put the lower in.

Comment

I flush my F150 with muffs with no problem getting it to pee. However, I suspect I have much better flow than you. My residential service is 100 psi (larger than norm) and I use a 3/4" commercial hose. I actually cut the pressure back to around 80 psi or so to flush. But, it does pee.

Comment

blue22 has plenty of water with 3/4 hose and 100 psi but if you need a flush tank get one of them blue plastic 205 lt drums and cut down ( i think you call them 55 gal drums.you don,t have to buy a cattle trough

Comment

Working...
              X