oil pump seals fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pump seals fail

what can cause an seals on the oil pump to fail we use our vessels commercially and we are getting about 1300hrs a year on the engines, the engines run great but we have had oil seals fail on the oil pump and wear the shaft at the seals I need to figure out what may cause this or what might have to be changed. More description can be give. master techs need some input.

I've got a Yamaha 115TXRB and have been finding water in the oil. I have been told there's problems with the oil pump and its seals. Can you tell me if you're getting water in your oil also? To solve the problem are you replacing or rebuilding the oil pump?

Comment

I don't have a good answer for you, Yamaha did change oil pumps on some models with different seals possible due to leakage problems. Those seals do have to hold up under high rpms of drive shaft, run with hot oil on one side and cool water splashed on it on other side as well as hot exhaust of engine.
      There is a repair sleeve for crankshaft available for some model motors.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

if your engine has water in it the reasons may be a wore lower seal and the water travels up the shaft or the gasket between motor and bottom of cowling is bad which allows water ontop of the oil pump and you have leaking oil pumps seals, if you tilt the motor over night and there is oil over your steering arm but no oil in bottom of cowling your oil seals are worn also you may find when you start the motor oil alarm goes off till it builds pressure

Comment

I understand the amount of stress we maybe putting on the driveshafts but the engines run up fine( 4800 no prblems) do not appear to be bogging down. they are used as twin 90hp txrs on a pontoon boat the question is should i change the pitch of the props or maybe cup them. You talked about sleeves for the drive shafts would this save the seals or give us more longevity.

Comment

They don't have the crank repair sleeves available for the F90 engines, don't know if they will make it available. The F90 engine has a operating range of 5000-6000 rpm's so they could use a smaller pitch prop to get rpm's up.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X