YAMAHA 40C...F40TLRC.....04' model? 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAMAHA 40C...F40TLRC.....04' model? 4 stroke

I'm not sure if this an 04', but I believe it is. Very lightly used. Always annual service. ALWAYS COLD BLODED...HARD TO START. I had the carbs rebuilt and it ran good once. It sat for a month and wouldn't start. I took it back and he said there was still a small air passage clogged...hhmm I took it out once and was still cold blooded. Sat for a month and won't start again.....Could it just be a bad carb rebuild???..This motor was always hard to start and idle..is this common with this model? Thanks

Are you running fuel STABILIZER stale fuel is a curse as for running cold have you checked your thermostats

Comment

My Mech.(John's Custom Marine) said not too add anything. They went through it and determined it to be the carbs. It won't start, and when it did, it wouldn't rev or it would die. Even when it ran ok, it took forever to be able to throttle up.

Comment

Also, I emptied the fuel tank and added premium fuel, new fuel filter. Would a bad bulb have any effect????

Comment

Drain the carby from the screw at the bottom and see what comes out give the bulb a few pumps and to flush out any crap.

Bulb is only to prime the carby before starting unless it has a hole in it and is sucking air ?

Does the bulb get hard after pumping it a few times ?

Comment

It seems like it takes quite a bit to get firm. It could be old. It's on my fathers whaler and I don't believe it's been replaced it quite a while. But, when I ran it in the ocean and at the river, it ran well on mid and top end. It's when it sits for a short period, it won't start.

Comment

choke working ?

Comment

I believe it's an automatic choke..04' 4 stroke elect. start. Start mode resets when key is turned off then on again.

Comment

yes it is but is it working has it power there do you have the operators manual

how does the choke energize by holding the key in

Comment

I just have the owners manual..no mention of choke. I just spoke with Maurer Marine in Costa Mesa. They said I need fuel stabilizer, specially for this engine. I guess my other Mech. didnt feel that way..duh. I guess this motor is very is very sensitive with 3 carbs. Thanks to all...I'll keep you posted

Comment

find out about cold starting procedure

Comment

Took it back to Mech. again. Blamed the Ethanol clogging main jet and small orfices. This time I'm running it out of fuel,draining the bowls,getting new fuel and adding stabilizer.......this sucks sooooooo much!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi JConn,
                          Trying to catch up on my reading and just saw your post. Your problem is the ethanol fuel. It does not keep in hot weather and what your describing is
                          common here in florida, fuel stabilizers notwithstanding. My suggestion is to ween the tank of the ethanol fuel and find a source for ethanol free marine fuel (try
                          a marina) and your problems will be over. Always, however, use stabilizers if your not going to run your engine for a week or weeks at a time.
                          Good luck
                          Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X