Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive smoke at start up

Hi all,
    I have a Yamaha 30DMH 3 cylinder, 2002 model outboard.
    After heeding the advice of this forum, I have been running the Yamalube fuel stabilizer conditioner, and ethanol free fuel ( which thankfully still available here in Australia). 50 / 1 fuel mix.
    From the very first time I used the additive, the motor produced more smoke at start up. It seems to ease down after a few minutes, but it still smokes a far lot more than it used to. On the muffs, and in the water.
    At first I thought it was the wonder elixir doing it's job and burning off some undesirable deposits in my fuel system.
    But after 6 months and maybe 25 gallons of fuel, it still smokes excessively at start up.
    What can I do to stop smokin up the place when I warm her up ?

I would not worry about it if it has a coating of oil in the motor it is protecting it from corrosion .

It is the fuel mix that was in the engine when you shut it down but the petrol has evaporated and left the oil behind so the next time you start there is a bit of extra oil there.
    Don,t worry about it

Comment

Thanks Mitch.
      What you say makes perfect sense. Maybe I will give it a de-carb and then run some ring-free as well. Just in case there's a bit of carbon build up.

Comment

Working...
      X