Tilt Mechanism 94 8hp 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt Mechanism 94 8hp 2 stroke

I recently aquired a 94 Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke. I have not been able to figure out the tilt mechanism on it. From what I have gathered it appears to be activated through the shift lever as there is no other lever on the motor for releasing the tilt lock plate from the tilt rod. According to the parts picture everything is there and appears to be in good condition but I can't unlock it from the pin. How does this work? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by bobt; 04-19-2010, 12:21 PM. Reason: left information out

It's activated by shift shaft, should release when in forward gear.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I see the stainless plate that hooks to the pin and is activated by a small nylon piece attached to the shift rod. Thinking the nylon piece was worn I bought a new one but the old one looks as good as the new one. It moves the plate when shifted but not enough. Is there an adjustment for this I am missing. Thanks.

Comment

No there is not an adjustment for it, check the springs are ok.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ends up the stainless plate was slightly bent which is all it took to not unlock. A little trial and error bending and all is well. Thanks for the replys

Comment

8hp tilt mechanism

I just bought a 98 8hp 2stroke which runs fine but the tilt lock mechanism came to me in pieces--new springs, pins, and stainless plate with the dogs. I know there are only like 7 pieces, but for my life I cant figure out how they fit together. Ive even got a yamaha exploded parts diagram, but it doesnt give me quite enough of a picture to put the parts together correctly. The local repair shops say its a real bear to put together without having an identical unit alongside for comparison. Could I bother somebody to take some closeup pictures of their 8hp so I can get this thing together? The spring positioning is especially hard to figure out--the two small ones and one larger one. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X