oil warning buzzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil warning buzzer

I have a 1990 Yamaha 130. The buzzer went off so I checked the oil tank on the motor and it was low. My remote tank was full so I hit the emergency switch in order to fill the main tank with oil. This cut off the buzzer temporarly only to go off again. When I checked the main oil tank this time, it was down a little (1 inch from full line) but far from low.Every time I would hit the emergency switch to refill the tank it would stop the buzzer. I think the oil pump may be bad but why does the buzzer sound even though the oit tank is 3/4 full. Can the sensor tell that the oil pump is not working?

There is an filter inside that tank around the the oil level sensor, if filter is stopped up no oil can get through therefore the float drops to low level.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

If the emergency switch gets the pump working, then the pump in the remote tank is working. The response you got from the expert doesn't make sense. Your automatic switch is failing. When the oil level gets below it will trigger the pump in the remote tank to fill it up. When you manually engage your pump it works fine. I had a problem where the pump in the remote tank kept pumping, and I submitted a post to find out where the overflow oil went because I was smoking big time. The expert never got back to me and now I see why from his response to your post. If you had a clog , then the pump would not pump at all.

Comment

hello kennydave,
        i am no expert, but i have some expertise in yamaha oil systems. bscull is correct in stating that if you can refill your engine mounted oil tank with the emergency switch, than your remote oil tank pump works. however,the soloution to your problem is slightly more complex (only slightly). first off, once your oil warning system is triggered, two things must take place to silence the alarm; 1. the engine mounted oil tank must be refilled above the low level; 2. the key/ignition switch must be turned back to off position to reset/clear the alarm.
        the engine mounted oil tank has a combination float/sender/control switch built into the cap.
        your problem is one of two scenarios.
        1. if you first refil the engine oil tank via the emergency switch ( as you previously stated was sucessful), try then turning your key switch off.
        when you turn your key switch back on and the alarm still wont clear, your problem is probably with the engine oil tank float/sender switch ( tired float,tired sender/control, etc).
        2. if the only way your remote oil tank pump fills the engine oil tank is by emergency switch operation (wont fill automatically), & once the engine tank is full & your alarm sucessfully clears when you cycle your ignition switch off/on,
        your problem is probably an open conductor in the wire harness that goes between the engine oil tank float/sender/switch & the remote oil tank pump.
        if your engine is older and/or trimmed all the way up after each use, the wire harness usually goes open where the cluster of wires/cables/hoses pass thru the lower engine cowling (inside the rubber grommet). the failure of the oil control unit is also a possibility, but VERY rare.
        scenario # 2 is most likely, hope this helps...

Comment

boats.net, furballs, bscull,

thanks for all the great input! I think furballs has the answer with senario 2. How difficult and how expensive is that to replace for someone who is mechanically and electrically challenged?!

Comment

hello dave,
            the harness you need is priced at 49.95 at boats.net, depending on the exact model # of your engine. the harness comes pre-connectored on both ends & i believe in 20 ft length. i am assuming you have a smaller vessel based on your engine size. this means that you will find excess harness coiled up somewhere as the distance from your remote tank to your engine is probably about 5 ft.
            the job is somewhat frustrating & time consuming, but you should be able to accomplish it in a day or less.
            you will have to gain access to most of your below deck areas around your transom & bilge. then you will have to pop your top engine cover.
            you will have to loosen/remove various hold down clamps (2x 10mm bolts holding large rubber grommet & 2 more around inside bottom engine cowling) & various plastic wire ties.
            your best bet is to start at the remote oil tank & work back toward the engine for removal & replace starting at the engine.
            if you replace your harness & still have trouble(providing your alarm silences as described in scenario # 2), you must then suspect the oil control unit.
            good luck & when in doubt,some jobs are sometime best dumped on your nearest yamaha dealer.......

Comment

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X