Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever clean a low pressure fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever clean a low pressure fuel pump?

I have heard it can be done with wd-40. The E-10 fuel seems to gunk up the pumps. A new pump is around $500 so I thought it could not hurt to investigate my options.

The engine is a 2003 yamaha f225.

Comment

Fuel pumps for my OX66 are about $38. You sure that's not the price for HP pump?
      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

They range from $650 to $465 I have found but if you have a great place for cheap pumps I am all ears

Comment

The problem with the low pressure pump is that yammy seem to be the only ones using that pump .On the other hand the high pressure pump is used in many other applications in autos .

Now did you put some carb cleaner in to it and leave it over night or as you dudes say nite .

What happens when you touch the terminals with some small jumper leads does it spark .

Comment

Hey Mitch I sent you a pm about this subject. I wanted to know where to start. Soaking with carb cleaner I can do tomorrow morning. Didn't you say something about wd-40 also?? I will try everything I can to get this puppy going again and maybe help lots of folks that have this problem. Do you feel that the e-10 fuel is the problem?

Comment

ive heard reversing polarity,applying 24v momentarily,my bro in law put on in freezer for 30 mins and it broke free, and there is also a rebuild facility on the west coast of FL... but if its bad just have to replace, i know III dont like to be stranded

Comment

Originally posted by jb123 View Post
                ive heard reversing polarity,applying 24v momentarily,my bro in law put on in freezer for 30 mins and it broke free, and there is also a rebuild facility on the west coast of FL... but if its bad just have to replace, i know III dont like to be stranded
                JB123 is correct. I have successfully cured a stuck pump in my F225 by reversing polarity with just 12 Volts and alternating back and forth repeatedly until the pump freed up. When you do this you are basically wiggling the pump shaft back and forth. Obviously this is only a cure for a stuck pump, not a blown pump. In my case the pump got stuck due to ethanol freeing up varnish in my fuel system which got into the pump and seized it up after it sat for just a few days. The beauty of this is you can do it with the pump in the engine, no disassembly required - just apply power to the pump fuse. To get reverse polarity, use a seperate 12V battery or power supply (lets call it the pump power) and ground the pump power battery's positive terminal to your engine's ground, ie most anything metal on your engine. Then apply the pump power battery negative terminal to the pump's fuse on the side thats connected to the pump. Then alternate polarity until the pump starts to run.

Be careful to disconnect the engine's battery while doing this to avoid expensive accidents!
                Chris
                2004 GW 330 Express w/ Twin F225's

Comment

Just letting everybody know that my pump works just fine. I ran the engine 10 miles with no problems. If it happens again I will try the fix where you don't have to remove the pump. Great stuff and money savings too!!!!!!

Comment

Oh, here is what I did to make the pump work again

It works!!!!! Thanks to many responses and advice from MITCH the pump sings again. I sprayed carburetor cleaner in both ends and let it soak for 1 hour. I put the pump in the freezer for 1 hour. Then filled each end with wd-40 and let sit for 10 minutes. I hooked up some leads from a 12v jumper pack and touched the plug ends. Nothing happened so as Mitch said I gave the pump a love tap and I tried again. She spit out that wd-40 like it was bad whiskey!!! She sings like she is brand new!! I am going to run diesel through the pump to clean her out even more then I'm going to put her back on the boat. I hope that will be the end of this subject. Thanks again to all!

Comment

I have a stuck HP pump... it laid on its side for over 2 years... am doing the suggested cures.

Where is a good place to get a replacement?

The dealer wants $1031.

TC

Comment

TC yeah you love that price makes you wonder how they can sell them so cheap.

Have a look on here they are only ABOUT 200 bucks, also they are only a 38 mm fuel pump that are used in many other applications as well as it is Mitsubishi elec system .

UP THE TOP OF THIS PAGE YOU WILL SEE PURCHASE YAMAHA PARTS grab your model and order away

Or ckicky thingy http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ard/parts.html

Mitch
                        Last edited by mitch; 06-02-2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch View Post
                          TC yeah you love that price makes you wonder how they can sell them so cheap.

Have a look on here they are only ABOUT 200 bucks, also they are only a 38 mm fuel pump that are used in many other applications as well as it is Mitsubishi elec system .

UP THE TOP OF THIS PAGE YOU WILL SEE PURCHASE YAMAHA PARTS grab your model and order away

Or ckicky thingy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Mitch

Mitch,

I have a 2000 - 150 Hp -- I find prices of $ 771 or $743 for the Mercury pump which will also work.

Did you see one for aound $200?

Thanks,

TC

Comment

Mitch,

Where did you recommen as a source for a new pump?

Also; I soaked this pump in carb cleaner and Seafoam for about 30 hours with intermitten trys at reversing poliarty... no go.

Soaked in drain cleaner for 30 seconds..... spit and started running.

Still need a new pump as the vanes had been damaged by trying to push on them.

TC

Comment

Working...
                            X