No announcement yet.

2004 Yam 150TXRC no spark, starboard side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he said he did not take those readings as he knew it was no use since it had no spark on that side.
    I tried to get him to tho

at least that is the way i remember reading it
    Last edited by 99yam40; 08-12-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I don't know if I have confused myself with all the back and forth, but, isn't that model EFI? And sparks each side?

Comment

https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/co...MAGES/FUEL.png

Is this not carbureted?
        Dennis
        Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

A 150TXR(X) has carburetors.

A DX150, VX150, SX150, LX150 or F150 would have a conventional fuel injection system. A Z150 or VZ150 would have HPDI fuel injection.

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
            I like those clear images.

https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/co...CARBURETOR.png

Comment

OK, so I did bamboozle myself.......
              Last edited by ausnoelm; 08-13-2017, 12:11 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

the reason?
                I took a look at my tune up spec guide.
                no listing for a 200TXRC.
                listings for SX,LX,VZ,F,VX,Z,LZ but no 200TXRC.
                leaves 5 models of a 200 made in 2004 with 3 differeing ign systems.
                all made by Yamaha all are different.
                it is why a complete model number is rather important.

Comment

Rod the OP posted this is a 150TXRC not a 200.

not sure where you got the 200 from

even the title says 150TXRC
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 08-13-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

No spark on starboard side?

Thank you for pointing out that I posted the model number. If there's one thing I've learned in my 30 plus years of outboard repair is just when you think you've seen it all and know it all something new arises that stumps you. As I have said before I am a Johnson/Evinrude Tech mainly older 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000 and at one time was considered to be 1 of the best techs on the east coast. I got on this forum for help because as I have found out this engines ignition works totally different than any OMC outboard I am used too. I can only assume that no one has ever seen this problem or can tell me what areas to look in for lose of spark on the starboard bank only. Thanks for all your help. I will eventually figure this out and post what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Rod the OP posted this is a 150TXRC not a 200.

not sure where you got the 200 from

even the title says 150TXRC
                      I suspect that he is just using the 200 as an example. Worst case example.

Maybe those of us that frequent this site should not respond to any post that does not provide a complete model identity or engine ID number. Or, maybe our response should be that no help can/will be forthcoming until such time as the OP gives us what we need. Other sites do this and it seems to work well for them. Better than whats works here in that regard. Same with control boxes and gauges.

"I have a Yamaha that is giving me problems. What can I do to fix the problem? What is the problem? Is it control box related or gauge related?"

Or as the man in the video with an engine stumbling problem says to his repair man "I think you need to put a new alternator in my truck. Here is one I got from the junk yard". Days later he complains to the repair man that his problem is not fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldoutboardtech View Post
                        Thank you for pointing out that I posted the model number. If there's one thing I've learned in my 30 plus years of outboard repair is just when you think you've seen it all and know it all something new arises that stumps you. As I have said before I am a Johnson/Evinrude Tech mainly older 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000 and at one time was considered to be 1 of the best techs on the east coast. I got on this forum for help because as I have found out this engines ignition works totally different than any OMC outboard I am used too. I can only assume that no one has ever seen this problem or can tell me what areas to look in for lose of spark on the starboard bank only. Thanks for all your help. I will eventually figure this out and post what it was.
                        I am certainly wanting to know. Has me stumped. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          I suspect that he is just using the 200 as an example. Worst case example.
                          Ok but I was just thinking since the 150TXRC does exists but there is not a 200TXRC he had got his models crossed up from some other post

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            Ok but I was just thinking since the 150TXRC does exists but there is not a 200TXRC he had got his models crossed up from some other post
                            Maybe so. I am just guessing here.

Comment

No spark on starboard side? "FIXED"

Big thanks to Carlitos for posting the fact he had a 150 with the same problem and a stator was the fix. With that and 2 local mechanics who also said that could cause this I got a good used stator asy. and tried it. That fixed the problem and runs great now. I checked and his model does use the same ignition parts except I think the cdi unit was a different part number. While I agree in theory this should not happen it did. So I hope maybe someone that works for a Yamaha dealer can check with the tech department and find out what we are missing that can cause this. I would really like to know. I don't like being a parts replacer but I had know choice in the end. FYI I did check the output on the B/W leads and I got 180v on the port side and 50v on the starboard side. I'm also not sure if this was related but I'm starting to think so. My tach had been bouncing around for a while and I just figured it was a bad tach since I could tap the face and it would go back to normal most of the time but I did notice that while I was test running the boat the tach never once was off. So what's everyone's opinion?

Comment

me and my trusty voltmeter would have found that issue in about 20 min.
                                stator volt in,CDI volt out.
                                the CDI, just like the OMC poerpack DOES not change or amplify voltage.
                                it simply rectifies it and stores it until it is triggered.
                                just like the OMC.
                                anything I work on I tend to study the SM paying close attention to the wiring diagrams.

been doing this about 40 yrs and never been beaten.
                                had a few challenges but never beaten.
                                not gonna say I am good but I am very patient.
                                got 2 jobs coming that everybody near wanchese has had a wrench on in the past year.
                                one is an 8.1 crusader that has a simple issue that should have been found.
                                the other is an 8.1 Volvo that is junk.

this stuff is stupidly simple, but it does require a bit of basic training and some test equipment.

Comment

Working...
                                X