No announcement yet.

exactly what does "turn over" mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even with twin diesels droning I have a hard time sleeping on over night trips.
    get enough beer into me and I may catch a few winks

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      must take a lot of hours to run around there looking for those things

found a package of MJ once on the beach over here.
      did not load it up, but called and told them where it was
      In Costa Rica I am told they turn up quite a bit. I looked but never found. If I were lucky enough to find a package or two I might be too scared to do anything with it. Either get busted by the feds and sent to the hoose gow or killed by a drug dealer to silence me, after he takes the package(s).

The guy that takes me fishing there (a gringo) says he has a safe market if and when a package or two is stumbled upon.

Most of the stuff that comes to the US from Columbia has to pass through CR. Here is but a small sample of what has been seized. Just a cost of doing business to them.

Comment

turn over: what I do to a small boat that I don't want to fill with rain or what I do to a small boat to empty that I didn't turn over.

Comment

Seems like you turn it over twice just to be sure that the water empties out, or does not get in there in the first place.

Comment

image_4132.jpg It's a command.

Comment

Oooooooh boy

Comment

Better said than I can.

Turning Over

Before the engine can start or “fire,” it needs to turn over. The term “turning over” refers to the mechanical process the engine uses to start. That process is the starter engaging the flywheel, the flywheel rotating the crankshaft, and then the crankshaft starting the engine. This is that cranking noise you hear when you turn the key – that fast-paced “ruh, ruh, ruh” noise. If you don’t hear it, that means the engine isn’t turning over.

Starting

When an engine starts, the mechanical process kicks in and then the engine fires. It’s as simple as that, and anything before the engine firing is considered the process of turning over. Now, if you hear the engine attempting to turn over but nothing happens, that means the engine isn’t starting, but it’s still turning over.

Comment

Hold on now, you said
                  "Now, if you hear the engine attempting to turn over but nothing happens, that means the engine isn’t starting, but it’s still turning over."
                  if the motor is attempting to turn over but does not, then it is not turning over.
                  Kind of like the starter engages the flywheel, but does not spin the motor, it may be that the battery is not strong enough or the motor is bound up for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    [B]Better said than I can.
                    you could certainly do better.

Of course its always easier to edit someone else's work than to start from a blank slate:

the first paragraph starts off well - except for "the crankshaft starting the engine"

But the last sentence of the second paragraph is just...awful.

Comment

Now that I reread it, it is pretty crappy.

Comment

What you write depends upon who you expect to read it.
                        You make assumptions about the reader, that they know less than you.
                        That often leads to a large number of words being used. The problem with that is that there are now new words and terms that may need explanation, and the viscous cycle begins. You then wonder whether the reader is now totally confused.
                        I have difficulty in knowing where to start when a seemingly simple question is asked from an ignorant person.
                        Now if you are just trying to define something,
                        Turning over is just rotating an engine via the crankshaft enough, in an endeavour to make it rotate by itself ( to fire, to start, to run, to continue on idling.....etc).

I myself prefer apple turnovers.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                          What you write depends upon who you expect to read it.
                          You make assumptions about the reader, that they know less than you.
                          That often leads to a large number of words being used. The problem with that is that there are now new words and terms that may need explanation, and the viscous cycle begins. You then wonder whether the reader is now totally confused.
                          I have difficulty in knowing where to start when a seemingly simple question is asked from an ignorant person.
                          Now if you are just trying to define something,
                          Turning over is just rotating an engine via the crankshaft enough, in an endeavour to make it rotate by itself ( to fire, to start, to run, to continue on idling.....etc).

I myself prefer apple turnovers.
                          I always like the small fried apple pies with Ice cream I bought in my young days at the local little Dairy Mart with the money I made from picking and selling Pecans
                          Would those be an apple turnover?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I always like the small fried apple pies with Ice cream I bought in my young days at the local little Dairy Mart with the money I made from picking and selling Pecans
                            Would those be an apple turnover?
                            What we call, atleast what I get from our local bakery, are stewed or chunky cooked apple in filo pastry (flakey crisp multilayer pastry) and whipped cream. The turnover part refers to folding over of the pastry.
                            Goddamit, I am supposed to be on a diet, now I'll have to go and get some for lunch!

Comment

well the crust was definitely folded over and crimped, and then fried, so it was a turn over by that description.

good memories from long past.
                              we would go out at night and crawl up into the trees and shake the limbs in vacant lots or the golf course, and then get up real early to pick up the pecans before heading to elementy school.
                              the people that lived next to the vacant lots though they owned those trees
                              it was a small town, everything was owned by the company that rented out the houses to its employees

Comment

And I love a good pecan pie. They are rich though.

Comment

Working...
                                X