Setting Full Retard Timing - S150TXRU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Full Retard Timing - S150TXRU

I believe i know the answer to this question - but i wanted to ask anyway to confirm.

According to Mr. Dangar i can set the full retard timing using a timing light and turning the adjustment screw while at idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWtGZM9dh6g

I (in my infinite wisdom) accidentally turned the timing adjusting screw while trying to initially adjust the IDLE on the outboard (first trip out with it. Rookie mistake). So i adjusted it back to somewhere NEAR where it should be. But it is not right, and my idle suffers from it.

So here's the question, Does the timing need to be set in gear at idle? or while in neutral at idle? Do i need to do it in the water? or is on the hose going to suffice? The manual specifies the 7 degrees ATDC - but wants me to go through the insane number of steps with the magneto arm and the control system, finding TDC and such. And bluntly, i'm not in the mood for all that when a timing light will work for idle timing.

I did not turn anything related to full advance so i have no reason to believe at this time there is any issue there. And as it stands now, she runs very nicely up to 5500 at WOT. So the full retard timing is all i'm looking to adjust.

Thank you.

pull it to full retard and check it, may as well check the pickup timing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      pull it to full retard and check it, may as well check the pickup timing as well.
      Sorry - not quite sure what you’re saying there

Comment

I cannot help much with that motor procedures,
        but have you checked the idle timing to see where it is right now?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          I cannot help much with that motor procedures,
          but have you checked the idle timing to see where it is right now?
          No, not yet. I’m not really sure if it even is out. But considering my screw up with the adjust screw I want to double check and make sure.

Comment

Sounds like the timing is set with linkage only so I would think as long as you make sure the linkage is fully in the retarted position you could see with a timing light where it is sparking on #one cylinder in neutral where ever the boat is running at.

But then You need to make sure the pointer is set to TDC to sure what you are seeing is correct

on my C40 the CDI controls(changes timing) so I have no idea if yours is only mechanical linkage or not

Myself, if I was not happy with how my motor ran, I would follow the complete procedure to make sure everything is the way that yamaha designed it to be
            Last edited by 99yam40; 03-15-2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

set it to full retard, use the timing lamp and the full retard screw. set the idle timing.
              yep it is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                set it to full retard,
                ok - this is where you get me. How do i set it to full retard? Isn't full retard the timing setting when at idle? How would i set it there? If you could answer as if you are talking to someone who has zero experience setting timing on an outboard that would be awesome.

My only experience with setting timing is turning a distributor on an old car engine and I cant seem to locate the distributor on the yammie.

All kidding aside, i thought i was going to just start the engine on the hose, let it warm up a bit and then fire up the old timing light and turn the screw until it was flashing at 7 degrees ATDC.
                Last edited by JerEazy2; 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM.

Comment

the arm/linkage should be up against the screw
                  backed down against the screw ,that should be full retard.
                  that way the moving of the screw will change the timing when you turn it.

If the pointer is not marking TDC as it should,then the light will not give you the correct degrees. may be a few degrees off
                  \
                  but you are correct you should be able to just fire it up and check it as long as the timing lever and linkage does not bind up and not end up against the screw
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM.

Comment

This site is getting more and more politically incorrect.

I was driving down the street a few months back and noticed some message on the back window of the SUV in front of me. I sped up to read it. "Spread the word to end the word!" WTH? Religion?

Gave a web address for more info. So I looked it up and the movement is to ban the word Retard. Or Retarded.

So now you can't say that either.

I wish I had some of these people's time........Go rescue a damn dog or something.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      the arm/linkage should be up against the screw
                      backed down against the screw ,that should be full retard.
                      that way the moving of the screw will change the timing when you turn it.

If the pointer is not marking TDC as it should,then the light will not give you the correct degrees. may be a few degrees off
                      \
                      but you are correct you should be able to just fire it up and check it as long as the timing lever and linkage does not bind up and not end up against the screw
                      i think i'm picking up what you're putting down. make sure the screw is touching the arm before i start checking the timing.

This is one of those things that is easy to do, but difficult to explain through typing on a computer or without pictures.

Comment

Why is there always more time to do something not to a procedure than there is time to do that same thing via a procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Why is there always more time to do something not to a procedure than there is time to do that same thing via a procedure?
                          Welp.... I'm not trying to do something to "not a procedure" - i would love to do it to a procedure. But i read the manual and it does not make sense to me. So how about this.... Considering i'm a bit of a simpleton i could understand the retard timing procedure pretty well. Turn the screw and it adjusts the timing. The only video i can find online has Dangar using a light. Ok i've got one of those. So i'm not really looking to spend time on doing something not to a procedure. I'm looking for a bit of help. Also, i'm not a mechanic. I work in finance. I do try and take pride in ownership of all of my things and work on them as much as i can as opposed to dropping them off at a mechanic like the rest of my co-workers. Also, considering my boat isn't sitting in my driveway, or in my backyard, I need to clear up all of my questions and concerns before i go to the marina because once i'm there, it's on. And if something is screwed up it means a disappointed wife and daughter, and me feeling pretty crappy about it.

Maybe if i rephrase my initial question that'll avoid the shitty comments going forward. This may come easy to you. But it doesn't to me.

"My dumb ass can't understand the manual on how to check and adjust timing. On the same line, my dumb ass turned the retard timing adjusting screw when trying to adjust the idle on my first trip out. Could someone please help me outline the timing checking and adjustment procedure in a way that i can understand? I'm not used to doing things using a manual made for those with a mechanical mind."

For Advance timing

Step 1 : Turn the flywheel clockwise and align the timing plate to the specified mark.
                          - The manual never gets into how to turn the flywheel - but that i can figure out considering there is a big old nut on top of the motor i can turn to turn the flywheel. Manual also doesn't go into where the marks are or how they should line up, or even where to look for them. But i have a sinking feeling this one will reveal itself to me once i'm actually looking at the engine.
                          Step 2: Turn the magneto control lever so that it contact the full advance adjusting screw
                          - it does not explain how to turn the magneto control lever. Do i push the throttle to WOT? or am i manually pushing it? or is there another way it should be moved? I don't want to break it, or do it incorrectly.
                          Step 3: check the mark lines up.
                          - ok that i can understand

For retard timing
                          Step 1: Turn the flywheel clockwise and align the timing plate
                          - same issue
                          Step 2: Turn the magneto control lever so that it contacts the full retard adjusting screw
                          - same issue
                          Step 3: Check that the mark on the flywheel aligns with the mark on the base
                          - same

I gotta say this - you guys on here are some of the most knowledgeable i've found when it comes to forums. And that's car forums, motorcycle forums, and other boat forums. the regulars on here really know their stuff. However, if someone doesn't understand you, or have the same skill level as you, it's almost like they aren't worth your time to help. I thought the point of this site, and others, was to help people who know less, or don't have your skills. Lets try and keep it that way.
                          Last edited by JerEazy2; 03-16-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

That is what this site is for....you are correct about that...no worries about your questions, fire away.

I will look at your manual and see if I can make it clearer to you.

Keep working on your stuff, that's how you learn.

You will get answers you will not like as well.

Comment

While I fully endorse anyone wanting to fully understand what is going on in a system (Yamaha is woefully lacking here) some times you gotta just follow the steps, even while not understanding them. Do A, then B, then C, then D. Trying to get to D without going through A, B and C is not always the best way.

Now if the steps are not clear then certainly ask questions about those steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X