Stabil vs Yamaha fuel stabilizer and change in behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stabil vs Yamaha fuel stabilizer and change in behavior

Saw the thread on ringfree but I would like to get thoughts on Stabil vs the Yamaha fuel stabilizer. I, like a lot of folks don't get a chance to use the boat as often as I would like and going 2-3 months or more is not out of the ordinary.
    I started with the Yamaha product and have recently switched to the Enzyme Stabil after draining the tank and refilling due to itas claim about handling the ethanol issue.
    Just a little background...
    The engine, 2008 50TLR has a total of 27 hours on it since new (have owned it one year as of last month). I try to run it on the hose if I can't get out at least every other week and have drained and replaced the last tank which had been in six months. Since new I have noticed that the start up characteristics have changed for the worse. Used to crank and run on the second count of three now it takes three counts of three and it fires. Used to continue at fast idle and then reduce to normal but now it dies at the end of fast idle needing a restart. Usually will continue to run on the second restart after fast idle. I let it run about 1200 rpm for about 10-15 minutes. I can convince myself that the idle and just off idle is more rough than when new. After about a minute most times it will "buck" and die. Restarting it will continue to run until I shut it off.
    Having said all that I was afraid that I had carb fouling so I pulled down the carbs but really found nothing of issue. Just to be sure, I thoroughly cleaned, including the pilots. Reassembled and still experience the same symptoms.
    Performance wise, once running and warmed up it runs ok on the water. I can probably convince myself that I can detect a little random miss at about 2500 which I don't think used to occur.
    Sorry for the long winded but want to paint to entire picture.
    Anyone have any thoughts about what may be going on?
    Thanks
    Dean
    Last edited by deanhead; 11-02-2009, 11:02 AM.
Working...
X