Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaker points ignition system problem, any help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaker points ignition system problem, any help?

I have an old 28AE yamaha outboard (circa 1978) and found that on one spark plugs the spark was very weak and on the other plug it was non existent. The plugs are new, when I switch the primary terminals on the coils (so coil #2 is hooked to the wire for coil #2) the weak spark changes to the other sparkplug so that tells me something is wrong in the breaker points system. I checked for continuity on the primary coil wires between the coils and the points and no problem there!

So my problem is that I have no experience with breaker points and all the info you find online is for cars, but I don't find a 'how it works' kinda explanation for the system you find on an outboard.

Now I study automotive engineering so I studied quite a bit of electric circuit theory and after playing around with the multimeter the only odd thing I find is that there is continuity over the points when they are open. I traced this back to the little coils under the flywheel.

So my question is: is it normal that there is continuity between the terminal that goes from these little coils to the points, and ground?

Ill see if I can add a picture tomorrow, but I'm writing this on my phone now
    [URL]http://www.welcometomyshed.com[/URL]
Working...
X