Yamaha tilt/trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha tilt/trim

I have a late 1999/ early 2000 model Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke. (C50TLRY) I began having trim troubles and began trying to narrow it down, checked oil level, checked connections, replaced the $230 selonoid, still nothing, just a selonoid click. Next step, removed trim motor for inspection. I'm pretty sure the trim motor is bad, when removed from pump you cannot freely turn the shaft. No biggie, a $2 or $300 motor replacement. Trouble is, there is (or was) a mesh foam filter once between the motor and pump (top of pump housing where the motor shaft connects to the pump coupler) and the foam filter is now decentigrated to mush and has ho doubt contaminated the pump. Ok, the problem just got bigger.... Option 1: replace entire assembly, pump, motor and cylinder as a whole. Pretty pricey for a 17 year old rig, OR Option 2: I know the electric motor is bad. When disconnected from pump, I can tell by attempting to turn shaft by hand, feels rough and sticky. I think that If I'm careful I may be able to disassemble the pump, clean any contamination and reassemble. My question is, if I were to do this along with a new electric trim motor and for whatever reason the pump is still no good, can I still buy just a new PUMP?(Because in theory I will already have a new electric motor) and save myself the 2 or $300 motor price of buying a complete assembly. Questions, comments, past experiences anyone?
Working...
X