engine has trouble restarting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine has trouble restarting

I just bought a 21 ft 2002 hydro sport with a Yamaha 2 stroke motor.(2002 also.) Had new water pump and thermostats replaced and everything was running well. Sea trials went well after fixes. Took it out for 1st time the other day and was drift fishing and when I tried to restart motor it wouldn't turn over. It acted like it wasn't getting enough/ any fuel and wouldn't fire. took about 5-10 attempts to turn over but each time eventually did. Any thoughts to possible issues starting with cheapest most likely problem to worst possible issue. Once motor was running it was running great. No missing no low power, plenty of speed when running.

seems like the motor was turning over OK, but not starting.
    2 very different things

and all we know is the motor maybe a 2002 Yamaha 2 stroke
    complete model #s help a lot

Comment

Let it cool in idle for a while before shut down. See if it make a difference on restart.

Comment

loose nut behind the helm ??????

Comment

I recall our owner's manual suggests priming until bulb is hard and short bursts on the starter motor over one long key turn until start.

Likely not your issue, but worthy of check. Our 90 hp TLR has an emergency fuel enrichment lever with closed, normal and open settings. If it doesn't perform correctly in the normal position, this is often a tattletale of fouled carburetors and similar fuel issues.

Ours was open when we got it to compensate for fouled carbs. If open, you may be flooding the carb when hot starting.

If equipped with the electric prime start device like ours, some here had difficulty with a bad diaphram.

If you need to pump the primer bulb upon restart, you may have an air leak into the hose. How old is your fuel hose and primer bulb? If they are degraded, the resulting clutter can continually foul the fuel system no matter how many times you rebuild carbs.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
          X