Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 question for Scott

Did you have your balancer replaced?

If so, do you know the specific dash number balancer that was installed?

If so, can you find a single digit that is cast/stamped/embossed into your replacement balancer?

If so, does that digit correspond to the dash number of the balancer that was installed?

For instance, let's assume you have a -03-00 balancer on the motor. Do you see the number 3 somewhere on the part? If so, where? Can you snap and post a photo of the number?

See the last two photos in this thread please.

F150 balancer stamped #2 - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Comment

How many different versions have they made so far?

Comment

Five. -00-00 through -04-00.

Trying to help a guy figure out if the single number on the balancer is in any way related to the dash number of the part. Some say yes, some say no, and some think maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Five. -00-00 through -04-00.

Trying to help a guy figure out if the single number on the balancer is in any way related to the dash number of the part. Some say yes, some say no, and some think maybe.

well if Scott does not know the part number that went into his this will not help you.

I would think a dealer that had some on shelves would be a good place to look, but they probably do not stock them

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300
            Ok, they they replaced the original with a #2 stamped on the casting, again 5-15-12.
            (Stamped above the fuel filter holder and to the right)

Do I need to update this (after reading the other thread)?

These things die a slow death. You will know when you need it.

A few weeks ago, an OP had a shredded gear. I would bet it was whining very loudly prior to stripping completely apart. Hopefully we will get an update after he pulls and cleans the powerhead.

Comment

Removing the balancer for inspection is easier IMO than the VST removal/cleaning. If I had balancers I might consider removing and inspecting. Then you would know if your unit has the addional oil port/journal.....

Comment

When Yamaha is back open for business they should be able to tell you the part number that was installed on your motor under warranty. I am guessing that it is the -03-00 configuration since that is what was available at the time.

The latest is now the -04-00 configuration.

It is looking to me like the number cast into the part (the 1 or the 2) cannot be used to determine the part number.

Comment

Well that's relief to hear. I'll call headquarters again today, tomorrow, etc till I get someone.

I did call the marina I use down here (service manager was VERY helpful and knew of the issue). It took down my serial #, etc and was going to call Yamaha to find out what he could as well.

(He's probably stuck too with their "meetings").

BTW, while I had the hood off, I noticed a little bit of salt spray, port side, appearing to spray from about the fuse panel, then back some. I do mean very little (and it was salt water as I tasted the crystals.) It ran back some, port side (more crystals) There's very few water hoses in that area.

I cranked up the boat on muff's TODAY (to 1,000 RPMs), nice and dry, no leaks.

Now, when I went out last week, I did run the motor to 6k W/O issue. I rarely go over 4500. Possible just some spray got up there from 45 MPH, (which is the fastest the boat has gone).

I did give it a "Salt Away" gentle spray in that area along with "Simply Green" followed by a blowing with a grass blower.. A subsequent LPS2 coating applied as well...

Sound like just some water spray sneaking up there? It was definitely from below the fuse "box"(no intrusion at all there). Maybe just kicked up spray?
                  I get a little from time to time. Mist it off with hose and let it air dry in the sun for a couple hours.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    I get a little from time to time. Mist it off with hose and let it air dry in the sun for a couple hours.
                    without reading the other posts of this thread, your post i quoted sounds kind of kinky

Comment

Originally Posted by pstephens46:
                      "I get a little from time to time.
                      Mist it off with hose and let it air dry in the sun for a couple hours."

Well, I prefer using the "blow job" method to finish things up. Gets everything clean, nice and dry too W/O any "drippage"/ left over fluids.

No festering puberts on that motor for sure.

Comment

sounds like that tells the story he was looking for

Comment

Thanks for the information. So much for the theory of the stamped number correlating to the part dash number. Back to the laboratory.

But now that you know that you don't have the latest part number are you going to take your chances with the -03-00 or update to the -04-00?

Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            Thanks for the information. So much for the theory of the stamped number correlating to the part dash number. Back to the laboratory.

But now that you know that you don't have the latest part number are you going to take your chances with the -03-00 or update to the -04-00?

Decisions, decisions.
                            If mine I would inspect from time to time and if I see something happening that does not look right, replace it with the newer one.
                            I guess it depends on how much trouble it is to look at the insides

Comment

Working...
                            X