Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 F115 oil pressure problem?

Hi there

Got a boat with a yamaha F115 outboard, that run okay for now all the rpm range, and changed the water pump impeller to solve the overheat at idle problem, but I found that in my gauge which didn't show the oil pressure, it just shows nothing

After a while I go to Ebay to get a PC diagnostic program and plug into my notebook to see more detail for this 2nd hand motor, and found one of thing may related, it shows in Data Logger[Data comparison graph] with engine speed

Oil press switch[0:OFF 1:ON]
    all speed shows 0

But as I know that if there oil pressure problem, the motor will alarm or just can run in slow speed.

I checked about the oil and it pretty good, no "making oil" problem, no gas smell. But just see the dipstick (wipe once and pull back, then take out once again) found that the oil level over the top position.

Maybe the oil pressure was disconnected or failure? and the oil fill too much ?

This is the first 4 stroke motor to me, really enjoy for this motor fuel economy, running 3600-4000 rpm for me easy to get 5.6MPG or more.

Thanks!

0=off=good.
    that motor uses an on/off switch for oil.
    no sensor/sender.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      0=off=good.
      that motor uses an on/off switch for oil.
      no sensor/sender.
      so how can I know the oiling for the motor is good? Just using the dipstick to check?

Comment

Originally posted by jerrychf View Post
        so how can I know the oiling for the motor is good? Just using the dipstick to check?
        Keep the level between the high and low marks on the dip stick.

Verify that the warning horn works. Pull the kill switch lanyard and crank the motor. You should hear the warning horn.

You can install a Yamaha gauge that will display a light if and when the engine has low oil pressure. The light will illuminate when the horn sounds. That is about the most that many will do.

You can functionally test the oil pressure switch to verify that it opens and closes per design.

But there are a few that have been known to actually plumb an oil pressure gauge into the motors oil delivery system. In this way they can see oil pressure at the helm.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Keep the level between the high and low marks on the dip stick.

Verify that the warning horn works. Pull the kill switch lanyard and crank the motor. You should hear the warning horn.

You can install a Yamaha gauge that will display a light if and when the engine has low oil pressure. The light will illuminate when the horn sounds. That is about the most that many will do.

You can functionally test the oil pressure switch to verify that it opens and closes per design.

But there are a few that have been known to actually plumb an oil pressure gauge into the motors oil delivery system. In this way they can see oil pressure at the helm.
          I think I will go to check the motor oil pressure sensor in next time I get on the boat, or check about the connection between the motor to the gauge.

The gauge now I using was the Yamaha digital square gauge, which had three gauges, one for speed, one for fuel and one for tach. The alarm horn was good so I heard the overheat alarm when I got this boat and the safety lanyard disconnect also. But I saw the oil pressure logo, but blank oil pressure meter in the TACH gauge, which I press the mode switch to the screen that should showing water temperature, battery volt, oil pressure.

Thanks for your tips! It should be really useful for me. Hope I can find out the problem and could be share my report also.

PS: Using Apple Mac computer to connect the diagnostics with Parallel Desktop 11 successful, be sure to setup the driver with COM1 was the key point.

Comment

you can look for oil pressure with any laptop you wish.
            you will NEVER see oil pressure on that F115.
            simple.
            it has NO oil pressure sender/sensor.
            it has a simple on or off switch.

Comment

I think I will go to check the motor oil pressure sensor in next time I get on the boat, or check about the connection between the motor to the gauge.

The gauge now I using was the Yamaha digital square gauge, which had three gauges, one for speed, one for fuel and one for tach. ...

I saw the oil pressure logo, but blank oil pressure meter in the TACH gauge, which I press the mode switch to the screen that should showing water temperature, battery volt, oil pressure.

Thanks for your tips! It should be really useful for me. Hope I can find out the problem
              There is not a problem for you to find or correct.

Your gauge has a capability - to display "varying amounts" of oil pressure -

which is not useful with your particular engine.

That function of the gauge works only on larger engines which are equipped with a sensor to "measure" oil pressure as it varies within a range.

As explained above,

the oil pressure monitoring device on your engine sees only two states: "OK" or "Not OK"

The gauge can not display information that is simply not available.

Comment

The gauge now I using was the Yamaha digital square gauge, which had three gauges, one for speed, one for fuel and one for tach. The alarm horn was good so I heard the overheat alarm when I got this boat and the safety lanyard disconnect also. But I saw the oil pressure logo, but blank oil pressure meter in the TACH gauge, which I press the mode switch to the screen that should showing water temperature, battery volt, oil pressure.

Thanks for your tips! It should be really useful for me. Hope I can find out the problem and could be share my report also.

PS: Using Apple Mac computer to connect the diagnostics with Parallel Desktop 11 successful, be sure to setup the driver with COM1 was the key point.
                For the third time. You do not have a problem. The square tachometer has many features but they are not all available with some Yamaha motors. Your F115 is one of them.

The radio in my car has a Sirius button. I can't get anything to play when I push that button. Why, because I did not sign up and Sirius is not sending information to my radio. Same with the Command Link gauge. There is nothing on the motor that is sending oil pressure information to your gauge. That is the way that your motor works.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  For the third time. You do not have a problem. The square tachometer has many features but they are not all available with some Yamaha motors. Your F115 is one of them.

The radio in my car has a Sirius button. I can't get anything to play when I push that button. Why, because I did not sign up and Sirius is not sending information to my radio. Same with the Command Link gauge. There is nothing on the motor that is sending oil pressure information to your gauge. That is the way that your motor works.
                  okay, thank you for explain for that

Sorry for did't get the point at first.

Comment

No problemo. This is a common problem. Yamaha does not adequately tell their customers about the issues that there may be between some of their gauges and some of their motors.

Comment

2003 fF115 low oil pressure indicator

I have Yamaha gauges and the bar under the oil icon is flashing. I called the dealer and he said bring it in. It runs fine does use oil and the oil is not black or anything. I have looked around the web and most are blaming the gauge. I have the diagnostic software and it show oil pressure set to 0. I cannot figure out a way to get the software to actually show me the true PSI, does anyone know how to make the software do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewb5 View Post
                        I have Yamaha gauges and the bar under the oil icon is flashing. I called the dealer and he said bring it in. It runs fine does use oil and the oil is not black or anything. I have looked around the web and most are blaming the gauge. I have the diagnostic software and it show oil pressure set to 0. I cannot figure out a way to get the software to actually show me the true PSI, does anyone know how to make the software do that?
                        I presume that you have an F115.

An F115 does not use a pressure sensor. It uses a pressure switch. There is no adjustment that can be made to make it indicate psi.

The icon flashing under the oil pot on the M/F tachometer indicates that a certain wire to the tachometer is grounded. Either by a fault or by the ECU thinking that there is a problem. Which there may be.

Comment

Working...
                        X