No announcement yet.

Another hydrofoil question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I fiddle with mine a lot when riding. Turning, sea state etc. nice to go full down when getting on plane, then pulling up for acceleration. I would never have a boat without them. Just wonder if he would regret not buying adjustable after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      I know I fiddle with mine a lot when riding. Turning, sea state etc. nice to go full down when getting on plane, then pulling up for acceleration. I would never have a boat without them. Just wonder if he would regret not buying adjustable after the fact.
      Certainly one would weigh up whether adjustable trim tabs are financially justifiable. They would also add an extra need for concentration; just like trim setting on an outboard, an inexperienced or careless operator could get things horribly wrong. At the very least incorrect combination of the two tab settings, with the O/B trim setting, can increase fuel consumption significantly.

I have no experience with the smart tabs. I wish they were available when I fiddled with these things to get a better off the mark for water skiing.
      I can see two problems: one there will always be drag from them. And two, what happens when one "spring" looses it's pressure a bit or a lot? Maybe Dennis can enlighten us, as I gather he has used these on more than one boat.

Comment

I prefer adjustable, as well. I've even added them to boats I've owned that didn't come with them. But sometimes it just doesn't make sense considering the boat and how it will be used. Given how it sounds the OP will be using the boat, and also the relative value of the boat (no disrespect intended), it's hard to justify the much greater expense. Well, that's my little opinion, anyways!
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
        X