2001 Twin Yamaha LF115 TXRA loss of RPMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Twin Yamaha LF115 TXRA loss of RPMS

I have Twin Yamaha 2001 LF115 TXRA engines. In April of 2015 I began to have problems with a loss of RPM’S under a load. Both engines would run 300-4200 RPMS at 90% throttle. I could rev engines up while in neutral and they would both reach maximum RPMS. My local authorized Yamaha mechanic determined that my fuel lines were breaking down and there were black rubber particles in the tank and filters. I had the tank emptied cleaned and inspected and there was an extraordinary amount of debris in the tank and some moisture /water. Due to the amount of debris the fuel spe******t recommended I dispose of the fuel and fill with fresh fuel.
    From April through December 2015 I continued to experience problems. I inspected and cleaned both VST tanks and both were ok. I had all fuel injectors cleaned and/or replaced on both engines as well as a tune up. After 4 additional trips to my mechanic and running multiple diagnostic tests he could not determine the problem. In August of 2015 he called the Yamaha Mechanic who troubleshoots for the entire southeast. During his visit he could not find anything of significance however; after inspecting the fuel filters, he determined that I still had debris in the tank so I had it drained and cleaned again. The fuel spe******t filtered the fuel through a 200-micron filter and it did pick up a relatively significant amount of debris. I continued to pick up very small amounts debris in my filters and I continued to have intermittent problems with a loss of RPMS.
    After multiple trips March-June 2016, I was able to determine that the only time I had problems was in seas above 2-3 ft. Anytime it was calm I had no problems. On June 1, 2016 I ran offshore fishing a 100 miles round trip, the Gulf was extremely calm 0 ft. seas all day and I did not have any problems, ran like a champ!
    On June 4, 2016, 3 days later after changing fuel filters I went on another trip and seas were 3-4 ft. within a mile I lost RPMS not to exceed 4200 RPMS. As the day went on seas diminished and by 3 pm seas were less than 1 ft. and we ran home 15 miles without any problems.
    This has been a very long and frustrating experience and I hope you can help me resolve it. Maybe it is an ECU or electrical problem, would this be picked up in the diagnostics tests?

Please advise.
Working...
X