Cooling system ~1990 40 hp Yamaha Autolube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling system ~1990 40 hp Yamaha Autolube

I recently bought an old boat with a 40 hp 3 cylinder Yamaha Autolube 2-stroke engine. From the stickers on the cowling I assume the engine is from around 1990-1991.

When doing the spring maintenance I realise that I don't quite know what cooling system this engine has. I find this orange hose that I thought was the tell tale, but I am no longer sure. When I run the enginge in a water barrel no water comes through the hose. Some water comes through the exhaust outlet though. The peculiar thing is that the orange hose seem to have some kind of plastic plug in the outlet end (why?), but even removing this plug doesn't change the fact that no water comes out. I attach 2 photos. #1 shows the orange hose, from the cylinders. The other end of it is let out through the cowling. #2 shows the cowling, the hose is let out where the screw is seen in the picture (above the 40 sticker).

A few question1:

1) What cooling system did these engines have stock? A tell tale, or just water outlet through the exhaust outlet?

2) What is the orange hose in my pic #1? Is it a tell tale (stock or retro-fitted?)? Why is it then plugged in the outlet end?

3) Do I have an impeller problem?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fisherJoe; 04-20-2016, 04:50 AM.
Working...
X