issue with 2002 225 HP OX66 Salt water series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issue with 2002 225 HP OX66 Salt water series

Hi I have a 2002 225HP OX66 Saltwater Series on a 26' Seaswirl Stripper. Typically it will run at about 5400 - 5500 RPM's My problem is that I can only get it up to about 5100 RPM almost instantaneously (very good acceleration) but then after a short time the boat gradually slows down to about 4700 - 4800 RPM and stays there. The fuel pressure never quite gets up to 35 PSI ( I would say it started at around 34 and then as RPMS decrease the fuel pressure dropped to about 31 PSI and stayed there. The situation is very consistent; at WOT gets up to about 5100 as a starting point and then within a short period of time drops to 4700 - about 4800 rpm. With the exception of this problem the motor runs great. Acceleration is super, idles very well, quiet, no excessive smoke etc. Boat stays in the water so bottom could be a bit dirty however that would not cause a loss on fuel pressure.

I checked the plugs they all looked exactly the same. Dark black and a bit oily. really no variation from one to the next.

At idle speed fuel pressure reads somewhere around 33 - 35 PSI. I did pull the VST filter and saw a little white hair like debris in it. I did not have a new one with me so I put in one that I had taken off the boat previously and again exact same performance. I also looked at low pressure pumps, relatively new (~ 6 months) Several of the screws holding the assembly together were a bit loose and I tighten them but did not really see any difference in performance.

At this point I am very concerned that It could be High Pressure pump but really hope it is something else as that is a very expensive part. I am hopeful there are other possibilities that could cause a drop in fuel pressure?
    In trying to fix I changed fuel primer bulb and line from Racor to primer bulb. Also changed the on board filter and o-rings. When you pump the primer bulb it gets rock hard as it should.

Really would appreciate any suggestions on this. Also if it does turn out to be HI pressure pump I know there are several aftermarket ones available for significantly less dollars any thoughts on this?
Working...
X