Need more help from the pros/ Tightening lower unit drain and vent plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more help from the pros/ Tightening lower unit drain and vent plugs

Hello everyone, Thought I’d check in with y’all.
    my 1992 Yamaha 40mshq was leaking out of the lower unit drain plug. When I removed it it wasn’t tight at all. I replace the black gaskets every time I change lube. I probably didn’t tighten it enough. I stopped when I hit bottom and I put a wrench on the screwdriver and snug it up. I do worry about over tightening.
    I drained it and ready to refill. However I can’t find the torque value for those screws anywhere in my manual.
    I have a little 1/4” drive torque wrench I could adapt a flat head bit to as well as a 1/2” drive torque wrench.
    So far the 1/4” has covered everything on the power head.
    Does anyone know if there is a torque for these screws or have advise on how I should tighten them properly without over doing it?

I just snug it up and then come back later and do it again.
    the washer compresses some over time

Comment

I stumbled across Yamaha’s maintenance update about going to the black gaskets in 2016 and how it’s a different installation procedure. Apply clean oil to the threads and on both sides of the gasket. Tighten until seated then an additional 45 degrees to achieve proper torque or tighten to and they show some formula that I couldn’t fallow. 7 51 Nm (0.7 + 0.1 m-kgf,5.2 50.7 lb-ft).
      Dont know why they can’t just list Nm or inch lbs. I fallowed the instructions. Got it snug with my screwdriver and put a wrench on it but I didn’t go a complete 45 degrees. Felt like it was to tight. I’ll check it later and see how it feels. I was worried I may have over done it on the gasket on the top plug. But when I removed the pump from the drain it was barely letting any oil come out so I figured it wasn’t sucking air.

Comment

Years ago, like ten years ago, I remember Yamaha's gaskets were a rust colored type and they were a tad too hard. They loosened up no matter what.

Then Yamaha went with a black colored gasket. I have never had a problem with these.

I go to to reasonably "snug" then add a 1/3 or 1/4 turn. No need to go Gorilla on these...
        Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

I've never put a torque wrench on a drain/vent screw in any type/brand of engine I've ever owned or worked on. You can "feel" when it's tightened correctly. I'm betting, like you said, for some reason you just didn't tighten it enough.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Test test test

Comment

I read your test

Comment

Thought maybe this site was down.

Comment

I can't see your test - nor that you thought the site was down

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                    I can't see your test - nor that you thought the site was down
                    well if you cannot see those how do you know he posted them?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

well if you cannot see those how do you know he posted them?
                      It was sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

It was sarcasm
                        right over my head is where that seems to have gone

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

right over my head is where that seems to have gone
                          Well, it's like a joke... if I have to explain it, I guess it wasn't all that good to begin with

Comment

Oh I get it now, just was a bit puzzling when you 1st posted it.
                            #11 explained it

Comment

Working...
                            X