Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YAMAHA 4HP 4 STROKE high idle when choke of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99yam40
    replied
    Seem like if there is a choke, then there should be something that opens the throttle plates a little also.
    got to have air and fuel.
    but maybe not, the operator may need to crack the throttle open a little while choking

Leave a comment:

• ausnoelm
    replied
    Air leak or carb blockage, clean carb again, properly this time, check all mounting gaskets/seals for damage and go boating.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Originally posted by yamercury View Post
    if its like any other carb it should have a fast idle cam. sounds like even though the choke is open the fast idle cam is not dropping off to allow the throttle to close.. just a hunch.
    We don't know the year of the engine but I've never seen a fast idle cam set up on any Yamaha OB.

Those were common on old school automotive, Rochester carbs, etc..

With a year engine, the exact set up (carb) could be looked and verified..

Leave a comment:

• yamercury
    replied
    if its like any other carb it should have a fast idle cam. sounds like even though the choke is open the fast idle cam is not dropping off to allow the throttle to close.. just a hunch.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Sounds like an air leak causing a lean condition (which can cause the high idle issue.

Turning on the choke is richening up the fuel mix bringing the A/F mix closer to where it should be..

Leave a comment:

• joshhopey
    started a topic YAMAHA 4HP 4 STROKE high idle when choke of.

YAMAHA 4HP 4 STROKE high idle when choke of.

hi wondering if you could help me i got my self a yamaha 4hp 4 stroke. and when choke is on it idles perfect however when i turn the choke of it idles very high .

i cleaned the carb. however i not 100% sure how many turns main jet / idle jet need? does anyone know this info?

also i been told to replace the intake gaskets ect for air leak ?

Working...
X