Yamaha 30 hp tiller steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 30 hp tiller steering

Hello, new to the forum and the boat world in general.
    I purchased a 1993 2 stroke tiller C30ELRR for my 14ft Carolina Skiff. The motor has very little steering resistance and upon doing more research/looking through diagrams to find a steering friction adjustment I found that the this motor was originally remote con*****ed with console steering. The motor is not very common but from the little information I have found I believe the motor is based on the 2 cylinder 40 hp of this era but detuned to 30 hp. The problem is there is not any steering friction kits for this motor and I am not familiar enough with Yamaha outboards to know what kind of parts cross over from different models. So maybe someone can help me.

I have found two styles of steering friction kits or "fitting kits" the first that is used for larger outboards:
    yam-6x4-42102-51-00.jpg
    This kit is made for 60/70 hp tiller conversions and has part number 6x4-42102-53-00. This kit utilizes the steering rod at the top of the picture that is run through the tilt tube and has an adjustable collar to adjust the steering friction. My question here is are the inner diameters of these tilt tubes universal for Yamaha outboards? The inner diameter of the tilt tube on my motor is 16mm I am sure the that the steering travel also needs to be considered.

The second solution is this style:
    yam2.jpg
    yam3.png

The problems with these solutions is that I don't see any mounting provisions on my motor.

The motor in question:
    20200821_130425-jpg.154719.jpg
    20200821_130556-jpg.154720.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Justin
Working...
X