Help please P75 v limited to 2500 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please P75 v limited to 2500 rpm

Can someone help I'm at my wit's end. I have a 1997 P75 v outboard and it's limited at 2500 rpm. it happened very abruptly we were running down the river at full speed about 5,000 RPM and slowed down to go in the inlet. when we went to throttle it back up it wouldn't go higher than 1000 RPM. I took it home and went through the whole fuel system replace the primer ball clean the fuel filter and pump some fuel through with the primer ball to make sure I had fuel after I did that I took it out and tested it and it will go up to 2500 rpm.
    I then took it to a guy who does some motor repair on the side and he did some testing and found that the charging voltage was only 12.5 volts. When he tested the stator he found it was putting out 125 volts to the rectifier and thought that this was way too high. So we ordered in a new stator from CDI when we installed the stator it did the same thing and I'm still only getting 12.5 volts out of the charging system. But the new stator only gave me 12 volt out on one of the green wires the ground. So we decided it must be the rectifier and replaced it with no improvement. I talked to a couple Yamaha guys and they suggested changing the CDI box this is the CDI box with the timing linkage on the side of the box. I just put that on Friday and I'm still limited to 2500 rpm. And my charging voltage is still at 12.5 volts. We did also disconnect the pink wire for the safeties and the speed did not increase.

My repair guy and I are out of ideas now and I really appreciate some input.

Thanks
Working...
X