Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalls at idle/No guts

1986 150 ETLJ. Owned since new.

Used this engine for the first time in 3-4 months a few weeks ago. Started and run fine for 30 minutes or so, then seemed like there was sudden fuel starvation. Max RPM 1200. When rev to 2500, RPM's fluctuated then dropped back to 1200. When idling down to shift, engine stalls when put into gear. Took a lot of "playing around" to get it in to gear and still keep it
    running. Under load, engine runs relatively smooth but top RPM still 1200.

Brought home and "SeaFoamed" carbs. Idle speed increased and idle was smooth. Revved to 2500 and held there with no fluctuation. (No load)

Back in the water this weekend. No change from previous outing. Difficult to keep running at slow idle and get in to gear. Max RPM 1200.

Should note that after each use I top of the fuel tank and add the appropriate amount of stabilizer before putting the boat away. There is always a full tank of relatively fresh stabilized fuel

After researching this forum I'm afraid I am looking at a carburetor rebuild, but before I take this route thought I should seek input regarding other options to check out first. All thoughts welcome.
Working...
X