Peculiar engine starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peculiar engine starting issue

I've owned two very different Yamaha outboards in the past few years (2013 F150 and 2000 C115) and strangely both motors had this very odd issue: the motor will not crank unless the steering is turned fully right (i.e. steering wheel spun fully clockwise). If the motor is positioned on-centerline or to the left, it's as if the battery switch is off. Crank the steering fully right, the motor cranks and starts perfectly. And once the motor starts, there is absolutely no issue with it cutting off when turning right or left or going straight. Shut off the motor and once again you have to position the motor fully right to start it. Does anyone else have this quirky issue?? Any suggestions?? Thx in advance!

Check the connections of the battery cables to the motor. Condition of the cables themselves and at both ends.

Comment

It's definitely not an issue with the engine, itself. Strange that you're having the same issue twice, but it's gotta be something with the install of the engine. As Boscoe mentioned, the first thing that comes to mind is that power cables are loose at one end or the other and when you turn over hard starboard, it stretches/tightens the cables/connections enough to pass the high amperage needed to start the engine.

When it doesn't start, do you hear the starter "clicking"? Have you looked at things under the hood and at the battery?
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Bad cable or cables. Just because they "look" OK does not mean they are. Eventually you will get stuck and it won't start.
        I would look at where the cable may have a tight bend that straightens out when the engine is turned or vice versa. With someone turning the key for you and the engine in a position where you know it won't start....manipulate the cables to see if can find the bad spot.

Good Luck sir.

Comment

I'll add... Since based on what you wrote, it appears this is happening all the time... you can very easily diagnose which cable is bad by using jumper cables to run from the battery to the connection at the engine. Try both the positive and the ground wire - but one at a time. Be careful when doing the positive - connect at the engine first to avoid accidentally touching something metal on the engine. You may have to be a little ingenious depending on the size of your jumper cables vs the connection point at the engine. If you're not comfortable with this, find a friend that is. It's not hard, but you don't want to possibly fry something on the engine.
          Last edited by DennisG01; 01-16-2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Gentlemen, I am grateful for your responses. To clarify, no clicking or any kind of response is heard when the motor is in its "dead" positions. I have removed the cowling and jiggled wires and looked for loose connections but have not been able to find any. I like that y'all have provided a troubleshoot plan on the battery cables. I'm not at the boat's location for a week or 10 days ... but I will definitely try the jumper cable suggestion. Makes good sense. I really appreciate your input and responses. Thank you a bunch. I will get back with my findings once I am able to tinker with the motor. Thumbs up to y'all!

Comment

How about a bad connection up to the key switch itself?
              does anything at all work when you turn the key to the on position?
              the F150 should have fuel pumps making noise when the key is turned on, but not the C115

need to find out where you have 12volts Pos and where you do not when the motor will not engage the starter
              Last edited by 99yam40; 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Since this problem only occurs with movement of the steering wheel when used on either motor, is there any possible interference under the helm with the steering apparatus and possible hanging, loose wires or connections running to the motor that might cause your problem?

Comment

I was wondering about the key switch/dash area, too, but... and see if this logic makes sense... Essentially, the "power" to start the engine is always "off". Turning the wheel hard over turns the power "on". That much we know. If it was behind the dash/key switch, then when he turned the wheel away from hard over again, it would turn the power back "off". Not to say that it isn't worth investigating, but I think the chances are greater that it's with the battery cables - and it's probably worthwhile to check that area before diving behind the dash.

Left field thought... Can this boat, whatever it is (or a previous owner), have a theft deterrent system installed? Whereby a contact/switch is made only then the wheel is turned hard over to stbd? In that case, looking under the dash should answer the question. I've never heard of that, personally, but who knows?

Comment

the whole point of my post was to see if there is any other things that do not do what they should besides the starter turning the motor

Comment

I appreciate the new input. I wish I had access to the boat this weekend but I don't. The problem that I had with the 2013 F150 started happening 4 years after I owned the boat, so definitely no deterrent device was involved. And the 2000 C115 that I currently have on a Hurricane deck boat has been used for many years prior to this odd problem, so definitely no deterrent device there either. I've had my wife turn the steering wheel on the Hurricane while i crawled up under the dash (clear access to gauges & ignition wiring) ... the steering didn't affect any of the wires no matter how she moved the wheel. After reading all your input on this issue, the battery cable(s) will be my focus area to troubleshoot. Again, I really appreciate the input!

Comment

Are you saying that this has happened on two separate BOATS?

Comment

I also thought this was on 2 separate motors on the same boat (at different times).
                          being 2 totally different boats and motors, I would think battery cables also.

Using a volt meter to chase it down is still a good idea in my opinion.
                          for even the starter relay/solenoid not to make noise(click) when it does not start would mean it is not just the high current is a problem.

Does the T&T work when the starter will not?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            I also thought this was on 2 separate motors on the same boat (at different times).
                            being 2 totally different boats and motors, I would think battery cables also.
                            And, if it turns out to be two separate boats (like it sounds from post #11), that is really, REALLY strange!

Comment

Be kind of a miracle if it's two different boats with two different motors, best guess is same boat, but had a motor upgrade, using lots of the old rigging, meaning it's likely a boat issue with cables or isolation switches, mind you, going by the terminology it's hard to say, there is mention of the engine "cranking" then "cranking" the steering

Comment

Working...
                              X