Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to test F90 oil sensor

FYI,

I bought a F90TLR engine and wanted to know how to verify that the oil sensor was bad/good. Using the internet and this forum I have convinced myself that my sensor is good.

Keep in mind that the oil sensor is a resistance device. The relationship between the pressure and resistance are proportional, that means, that when pressure goes up the resistance goes up.

Here's what I did.

1. Disconnect the pink wire going to the sensor, start the engine. The alarm sounds. This tells me the wiring from oil sensor|ECM|6Y8 command link is correct.

2. Turn off engine. Take ohmmeter and set to 200ohm scale. Measure the resistance from the inside connection on the oil sensor to any ground. My reading was close to 0, ~ 5 ohms.

3. Start the engine. Make the same measurement as in #2. My reading was very high, it's close to infinity.

4. Turn off the engine, repeat #2. My reading was again close to 0.

5. Connect the oil sensor wire and you're done.

My conclusion was that the oil sensor is doing what it is suppose to be doing and didn't need to be replaced.
    Last edited by jackmanjls; 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM. Reason: Not sure the info is correct.
Working...
X