2005 Yamaha f225 grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Yamaha f225 grinding

I recently had my outboard in for service to get the water pump changed out.Took it out yesterday and got about a half mile from boat dock and the motor killed. Started it back up and the lower unit was grinding very badly like it wanted to kick in and out of gear. Got to shore with my kicker motor and took a look, I can put the motor in gear and the prop turns and sounds like something is rattling. Could it be that something never got aligned right after the water pump was replaced, or just a fluke that the lower unit would of went out. I beleive things can just happen and not blaming the dealer, just wondering if anyone has any input.
    Thanks

while it is certainly possible the gear case failed right now, I am more likely to think it was not assembled correctly, or adjusted as per specs when the water pump was replaced.

Comment

First thing I would do is pull the drain plug and make sure there is lube in the lower unit. Is it possible that the dealer/tech drained it when servicing the water pump and forgot to refill it. Not that he would have had to drain it to service the pump.. but you never know. Check it and see what comes out , if anything.
      I got a boat now "bout time" took me 50 years to do so

Comment

Working...
      X