Yamaha Outboard Parts
Yamaha   Yamaha Outboard Parts
 
Yamaha Outboard Forum Yamaha Outboard Parts Discussion Forum Yamaha Outboard Parts Boat Parts Yamaha Outboard Forum Outboard Motor Parts Contact Us
Yamaha Parts

Go Back   Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum > General Discussion > Yamaha Outboard Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe99 View Post
Have you owned the motor since new? If not, do you have all of the maintenance records? Has the block ever been replaced?

The crankshaft was changed on 2007 production year models to come with a wear collar. Similar to a Speedy Sleeve but different. Older cranks get the Speedy Sleeve whereas later cranks get a replacement collar.

The seals for the pumps are different when the older crank is used versus the later crank.
I have not, I've owned the boat for a year... I know the mid section has been replaced but am not aware of the powerhead being swapped out. Any ideas on how I can verify the year of the powerhead?
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: KDH NC
Posts: 8,933
Default

if it was repaired under warrenty Yamaha will have a record of it, if not have the dealer look up the crank tech bulliten and measure yours.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedportcj5 View Post
I have not, I've owned the boat for a year... I know the mid section has been replaced but am not aware of the powerhead being swapped out. Any ideas on how I can verify the year of the powerhead?
Inspect the block and the heads for markings of any kind. What be they?

The fact that you have the collar instead of the Speedy Sleeve is leading me to believe that your motor does not have the original block. But I have been mislead on more than one occasion.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 1 Week Ago
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe99 View Post
Inspect the block and the heads for markings of any kind. What be they?

The fact that you have the collar instead of the Speedy Sleeve is leading me to believe that your motor does not have the original block. But I have been mislead on more than one occasion.
Top of block:
6P2201
Y-1:

Bottom side back of block (on back right corner):
08090827
P666 <--might be my problem right there... :devil:
S668

Bottom right side:
69J1
Y-2

Stbd head:
MD389U
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,144
Default

Hmmm. Can't get there from here using block numbers.

Look at the oil pump. Is it marked as 69J-02? If so, that is the updated pump for use with the updated crankshaft.

Is the block dark gray or medium gray? Dark gray is the new block with the new crank shaft.

As rodnut suggests, take some measurements. The OD of the new crankshaft with the new collar is 34mm. If that is what you measure then you have the updated block and crankshaft. Of course if you have removed it the measuring might be a bit fiddly.

You will simply buy the collar and not the Speedy Sleeve to effect the repair.

If you replace the oil pump then you will use the -02-00 pump and not a pump for an F250TXRD.

Might want to put some notes in your maintenance records so that in the future anyone doing a repair will know the status of the motor.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 1 Week Ago
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoe99 View Post
Hmmm. Can't get there from here using block numbers.

Look at the oil pump. Is it marked as 69J-02? If so, that is the updated pump for use with the updated crankshaft.

Is the block dark gray or medium gray? Dark gray is the new block with the new crank shaft.

As rodnut suggests, take some measurements. The OD of the new crankshaft with the new collar is 34mm. If that is what you measure then you have the updated block and crankshaft. Of course if you have removed it the measuring might be a bit fiddly.

You will simply buy the collar and not the Speedy Sleeve to effect the repair.

If you replace the oil pump then you will use the -02-00 pump and not a pump for an F250TXRD.

Might want to put some notes in your maintenance records so that in the future anyone doing a repair will know the status of the motor.
Thanks for the help. I havenít measured but itís obvious itís newer because it does/did have a collar on it. The crank is definitely smaller in diameter, the speedi sleeve just slips right on. I wasnít able to find a p/n on the pump. Iíll clean it and look harder. Yamaha has no record of a new powerhead but apparently they only record warranty info.

The block color does seem to be a darker gray.

The detective work continues...
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,144
Default

Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 1 Week Ago
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 24
Default

New pump (6P2-13300-00-00), oil seal (69J-13338-00), and collar (69J-11478-00-00) have been installed. What a freaking mess... I sure wish I knew the history of these motors. The block/heads are definitely a darker color than the valve covers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crankshaft, oil pump, speedi sleeve, speedy sleeve

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Outboard Parts

Other Forums
Mercury Parts
Suzuki Parts
Evinrude Parts
Johnson Parts
Honda Parts

Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Outdoor Network LLC