Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the yamaha 130 lower unit

Hi,
    I just found this board and would like to remove my lower unit on a 1991 130 Yamaha outboard. I have done this on other outboards, but never a Yamaha. Could anyone give me any direction here, such as where to disconnect the shift link, etc? Thanks

The shift shaft disconnects when you unbolt and lower the lower unit from the midcase. Remember to remove the torque tab (zinc anode under the cavitation plate...) because there is a bolt up under there that you need to remove also for the lower unit to drop free. So you have the six exposed bolts and the one hidden bolt under the anode to remove and the thing just drops free. You may have the speedo tubing to disconnect at the leading edge as you drop it down so watch for that. There's a little plastic nipple there that the tubing connects to, not uncommon to break it off accidently. You can replace it with a brass fitting or just disconnect it if you use a GPS for speed anyway. If you have the waterpump assembly off remember to inspect the driveshaft seal under the waterpump. It is common for the tension spring on the seal to break after a few years and allow water to seep past it and into the lower unit. It's a good time to replace that seal while you have it apart. If you don't have the factory shop manual for your motor you can go to www.YamahaPubs.com and order it online. It will come in very handy if you like to do your own work. Good luck.

Mike ........ Miami, FL

Comment

Working...
    X