98 yamaha 90 hp 2 stroke leaking oil under carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 yamaha 90 hp 2 stroke leaking oil under carbs

I am looking to purchase a 98 yamaha 90 hp 2 stroke (pre-Mix) that has just been serviced. The boat/engine belongs to a friend who is not technically minded. It has just been serviced and after lowering the engine ftom the trailing position I noticed at least an ounce of what appears to be motor oil under the carbs. This engine does Not have an oil reservoir under the cowl. Does the air cleaned have an oil soaked element or does this suggest leaking carbs? Also I notice some white residue around all of the gasket surfaces (heads and carbs). The boat has had some salt water usage. Could this just be salt spray that gets in the cowling? otherwise it's very clean under the engine cover. Please help and many thanks in advance for your time.

Bob,
    I am assuming this is an oil injected motor and not a pre-mix. I would look for loose hose connections leading from the primary oil tank to the oil injector - and from the injector to where ever its output leads, probably to the base of the carbs. Also inspect the oil tank itself for any cracks/leaks.
    The air cleaner does not have an oil soaked element.
    The white residue on the gaskets is normal - I just spray mine with WD-40 from time to time and wipe off excess. I think the gaskets are a little porous, and this is just the gaskets "weeping" a little, or so my master marine mechanic buddy tells me.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken this engine is a pre-mix design and has no oil reservoir under the cowl.

Comment

Bob,
        Sorry - you stated the motor is a pre-mix in your first post and I missed it. I would not worry about a small amount of leakage from the carbs - it has to be oil residue from the pre-mix fuel. Check the fuel line from the filter to the carbs for any leaks. If it continues, though, you might consider putting in carb kit - that would replace all the gaskets.
        Good luck,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X