faulty trim gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faulty trim gauge

great site, I'm glad I found you guys. just bought a used pontoon with a 1999 40hp. the trim needle is stuck in the up position. needle will move slightly when I turn ignition to acc. where do I start? there seem to be wires coming from gauge that aren't connected to anything. does anyone have the basic wiring pattern for this so I can start tracing things and making sure everything is connected. could this be in the harness off the engine? I know the basics but never owned a boat with a trim gauge before. thanks

Most of the Yamaha harnesses are color coded so you should be able to match up the wires pretty easy. But my first recommendation would be to go to www.Yamahapubs.com and order yourself a service manual for your motor. It'll have the wiring diagram in there and a bunch of other information you need for routine maintenance and troubleshooting. There's also a sending unit back on the motor's pivot point to check.

Mike.......... Miami, FL

Comment

lakeshore,
      Yeah, do what Mike says and get yourself a Yamaha shop manual - it will pay for itself. Also, try squirting some WD-40 on that sending unit mounted on the pivot tube - they get corroded up from time to time.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X