Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Yamaha 115hp 4 Stroke Knocking in Reverse

Greetings all,
    Hope everyone got to fish on Sat since Sunday is was an annual NO FISHING day know as mother's day. I got out Sat but had some problems. Launched the boat and started backing off the trailer and heard a knocking coming from my 2000 115hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I immediately put it in neutral and the knocking went away. Put in forwards and it didn't knock. Put it back in reverse and it started knocking again. Put it in forwards and idled for about 500 meters (no knocking) put it in reverse and it did not knock. The rest of the day it ran fine. I called a local Yamaha shop today and am scheduled to take it in on Thursday just to be safe. The service manager I talked to thought the cables might need to be tightend. I hope so because the alternative is something I don't want to even think about.
    Any thoughts on what might be happening.
    Thanks
    SISKO

SISKO,
    Check the shift linkage - maybe it has slipped a little and the outboard is not going all the way into reverse - maybe popping in and out and that is the knocking you are hearing. "Murphy's
    Law" says it usually won't be this simple, but it's worth a try.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken,
      Thanks for the reply. The Yamaha tech is planning on checking that tomorrow. FYI I took it out last night and did figure 8's in reverse and couldn't make it happen again. Maybe it was a fluke but I'm still getting 'er checked out.
      Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X