2003 8hp/4-Stroke stored on side.. won't start now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 8hp/4-Stroke stored on side.. won't start now

I was storing our 8hp Yamaha overnight on its side (handle up). The next day while cleaning and waxing the outside casing, I must of inadvertently flipped the outboard in the wrong direction. A small amount of oil seeped out on the choke pull tab. I flipped it right back but I think the damage was already done. After reinstalling the engine in its upright position, The pull starter would not pull. I manually spun the prop while in gear to release the compression. I opened the cover and cleaned up small amounts of oil from the bottom pan areas. The pull starter now worked, but with no symptoms of starting. The engine was just professionally tuned and overhauled for its one year maintenance two months ago and has ran perfectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you in advance..

You've probably soaked the plugs with oil that got into the induction system. Simply remove the plugs, spin engine over with the pull cord to expel oil in the cylinders(without ignition on, as cranking the engine in the "on" without the ignition wires connected properly to plugs can damage some ignition systems). Then install new plugs and try to start normally. Let me know how it goes.....

Comment

By the way, don't forget to check the oil as since you may have lost some by tilting the engine, it may be low...

Comment

new plugs.. pulled starter cord with plugs out a few times.. still no start.. any more ideas? thanks in advance..

Comment

I tried spraying engine starting spray into the air intake.. and the engine turned over a few times but then quit immediately. This to me seems like a gas or carburetor problem now. The engine appears to be getting gas. The filter is clean. Could the oil that spilled around internally have gotten into the carburetor? Will the starter spray help burn it out? Or should I open it up and clean it. What should use to clean it with? Thanks for any advise.

Comment

Working...
          X