Running synthetics in outboard . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running synthetics in outboard . . .

does anyone have any advice? My 2005 50hp 4 Stroke will be done its 10 hour break-in fairly soon and I was considering switching the oil and other fluids to synthetics.

Is it worthwhile? Will I gain any performance? Will it create warranty concerns if there is an issue?

Thanks in advance!

I ran Mobil-1 in my Honda 4 stroke outboard from day one, and never had a problem.
    Also just switched to synthetic in my new boat with Yamaha's.

Comment

NMG,
      Check with the dealer where you bought the outboard and make sure there are'nt any warranty problems using the synthetics. I personally feel that there is a little less internal friction with the synthetic oil - I ran a ten thousand mile test on my truck using Mobil 1, and I got an average of 0.5 more mpg. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up. My next outboard will be a 4-stroke, and I will be using synthetics.
      Good luck,
      Ken K

Comment

I've done a bunch of testing with synthetics, and they blow away conventionals in terms of friction reduction and breakdown. The only thing you may want to investigate is if in fact a manufacturer does have any concern by using them, but since synthetic oils pass every rating test much better than conventionals, I can't see that being a problem. The LACK of wear is actually a reason why they don't recommend synthetics for break-in, since you need just a slight amount of wear for the parts to "settle". As the other respondant said about his truck, you will get better mileage(due to less friction), your engine will last longer, and you will not get near the deposits in the engine(especially on the piston undersides and ring grooves). I've done alot of high perf engines, and it is amazing how little wear there is in synthetic run engines.....

Comment

By the way, use synthetic gear lube in your lower unit, it will keep it alive MUCH longer!!

Comment

Cool, thanks for the replies. My engine has gone through the 10 hour break-in and I now have to make an appointment to have it serviced. I'll double check that using synthetics won't cause any warranty related problems.

Is there any particular brand of lubricants that you could recommend or are most of the "big names" safe as long as I make sure that the specs meet or exceed the recommended specs for the engine?

Comment

I purchased a f225 in January. They, the dealer, told me not to use synthetic until 50 hrs. They said you want to ensure proper break in. I do not know if it will effect the warranty but 50 hrs is not long to wait.

Comment

NMG,
                I tend to stick with what has worked for me in the past - the next time I change lower unit oil, I will go with Mobil 1 - I have Lubrimatic (not synthetic) in there now. I believe another member of this board "Hamfisted" uses Mobil 1 in his lower unit, and he swears by it.
                I have a two stroke outboard (pre-mix) and have burned just about everything marked TC-W3. I just bought a gallon of Pennzoil synthetic blend to see what the results are. It should burn a lot cleaner.
                Any of the major synthetics should be ok for your 4-stroke. Like I said, I have been impressed with Mobil 1.
                Good luck,
                Ken K

Comment

Cool, thanks guys!

Comment

I swear by Mobil 1, although I'm sure the other companies use the same technique to synthesise their oils too. Usually when you run synthetics you'll replace the oil and it's as clean as it was when you put it in!!

Comment

Working...
                    X