No announcement yet.

Corrosion Controversy w Yamaha F225's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do when they won't cover it?

What do you do when they won't cover it?....
    If your engine begins to show ehxhaust corrosion, is there anything you can do to slow the process? Traditional flushing out does not address the issue.

Comment

I had this issue with a '94 V6 that nobody could fix. I manually cleaned the water jackets on top of the heads then ran the motor in a tank with vinegar and water 50 %, This solved the over heat problem as the port head went from 180 plus degrees to 130 after ten hours in the tank. Monitored with a laser.( Remove thermo stats then replace after.) This was after many days at a dealers shop replacing parts.

Comment

Preventative for Dry exhaust corrosion?

Thanks Tex,
        It sounds like yours was a big fix with lots of replaced parts. But to possibly prevent corrosion on engines with this issue (possibly 2003/4 V6Yammys), is there something more preventative and less high tech that we can do?

Cheers,
        SurfPath

Comment

Salt Away's web site says when used their product prevents build up. May be sales propaganda; I've never used the product. I've read mixed reviews about how it works. I like Big Tex's solution. I sounds like a big PIA and will take an entire day; but I'm going to do it before commissioning this spring.
          1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
          1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Corroded 225s

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
            Remember a post a while ago about this. The factory flushing attachment does not circulate water in all the water passages that's why you need the ear muffs..I think steps 1 & 2 should be fine. Why raise the motor? It should get tell-tale stream in vertical angle. It does on the boat.
            I have a 2003 GW330 with 225s done 820hrs.The boat is based in tropical singapore. I recently found a 3mm hole in the engine block leaking salt water.
            It appears the hole is the result of corrosion from inside the engine block.

Comment

225 Corrosion continuation

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
              Remember a post a while ago about this. The factory flushing attachment does not circulate water in all the water passages that's why you need the ear muffs..I think steps 1 & 2 should be fine. Why raise the motor? It should get tell-tale stream in vertical angle. It does on the boat.
              continue
              I admit that I have problems flushing the 225s as there is no freshwater coming out of the peehole.this unless I start the engine tilted out of water with the gardenhose connected however yamaha says this will damage the impeller.( maybe I should have use the muffler instead as water goes tru the impeller at the bottom as well as the top garden hose connector). The qn is
              is this a pre 2004 225 problem or a lack of proper flushing problem ?? I am
              going to change to 250s but worried it will end prematurely again.

Comment

Overheating 1986 V6 225

Hi
                My 225 has about 450 hrs and is now overheating when running at top end rpm. I assume it is the corrosion referred to in this thread. Can those experienced with this problem provide some advice.
                Will taking off water jackets and cleaning help?
                Is there any way of removing head bolts without breaking?
                Is there anyway of acid flushing the water cooling passages to remove corrosion build up!

The motor is running ok apart from the overheating issue and still looks like new.

Thanks

Brian

Comment

Overheating form exhaust passage corrosion us almost always at idle...
                  high speed overheat from something else.

The best answer I've heard is "4 strokes don't have unburnt oil exhausted and thus lining exhaust passages as a 2 stroke does"

I wonder about $8000 to repair/replace corroded passages....seems the most consistent # I see is around $2000 parts and $800 or so labor.

Those switching to Honda or Suzuki. Do your homework. I've seen the same corrosion issue threads, albiet much lower volume but also much fewer sold to begin with.

Good Luck.

Comment

its not isolated to the F225 and its not isolated to 05 and prior and its NOT isolated to yamaha.
                    on the yamaha F225 and F250 motors your looking at 2200-3200 in parts and about 8-12 hours changing the stack.
                    funny thing, I have sevearl 03 F225s running about that NEVER get flushed and run exclusivly offshore and have over 3500 hours.
                    then again I have replaced ex stack assys under warrenty on engines with less than 500 hours.
                    got a few other friends that work suzuki,merc and honda that are starting to see the same issues.

Comment

Overheating

Originally posted by fishfactory View Post
                      Overheating form exhaust passage corrosion us almost always at idle...
                      high speed overheat from something else.

k.
                      Any suggestions what could be causing the Overheating? It only happens when running greater then 3900rpm and then does so within a minute or so. Below that it will run for hours ok

Brian

Comment

F225 Corrosion

I have a 2005 F225 with 283 hrs and have just learned that I have a corrsion issue in the exaust port. This motor has been flushed after every use, not that it would make any difference as it is a dry port. I have done much reading on this, mainly on THT and was surprised that there was not much mention of it on this site.

Is anyone aware of this, and could you shed some light on it for me as far as cause or if Yamahan has acknowledged the problem at all.

Thanks

Comment

yamaha isnt the onl maker with ex corrosion issues.
                          not all yamaha 4 stroke v6 motors do it.
                          some go thousands of hours and are never flushed, others wont make 300 hours.

Comment

200 with dry exhaust corrosion issues

I'm somewhere around 450 hours with my Saltwater Series 200hp (2003) and there are definately dry exhaust corrosion issues. We've even had water seep from the upper exhaust passage into the main cowling.

So what do I do. I dont have the $ to replace the exhaust ($4,000 + labor). Not too many old legs in my area are available for scrap.

Weld a repair?

The engine (powerhead) still works 100% fine, it's just the rotten leg.

Yamaha why did you sell me this. It's like a young kid needing a "root canal".

Comment

Originally posted by SurfPath View Post
                              I'm somewhere around 450 hours with my Saltwater Series 200hp (2003) and there are definately dry exhaust corrosion issues. We've even had water seep from the upper exhaust passage into the main cowling.

So what do I do. I dont have the $ to replace the exhaust ($4,000 + labor). Not too many old legs in my area are available for scrap.

Weld a repair?

The engine (powerhead) still works 100% fine, it's just the rotten leg.

Yamaha why did you sell me this. It's like a young kid needing a "root canal".
                              This can't be a 2-stroke...
                              1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                              1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

My 2005 (stamped 04/04) Yamaha F225 is currently in the shop with MAJOR corrosion issues around the exhaust port, my mechanic is telling me I will have to purchase a new block and mid section which is very costly. I contacted Yamaha which was a waste of my time. Meanwhile I'm online shopping for a used block but not sure how to distinguish between the problem block and the improved one.

Very Disgusted
                                Dripping Wet

Comment

Working...
                                X